Thursday, May 16, 2024
HomeSportsYoung talent promises bright future for Dal Volleyball

Young talent promises bright future for Dal Volleyball

By Joel TichinoffSports Editor

Lalani, Shepherd, Schinkel, Yorke and Sears. Not to mention outside hitter Louise Facca, who had 14 kills and was named player of the game, or libero Lauren Smith, who had 14 digs in last Friday’s 3-1 win over the Memorial University Seahawks. Each player named above is a sophomore or rookie on a Tigers roster that features only two players with one or less years of CIS eligibility left in their AUS careers.
Although Dalhousie hasn’t won an AUS championship since 2003, the current squad of fresh talent has the potential to revive the tradition of dynasty teams in women’s volleyball. Between 1970 and 1990 the Tigers won 10 AUS championships, and a national title in 1982.
With back-to-back wins over the last place Seahawks over the weekend, the young Dal team gained some much needed confidence improving their record to four wins and six losses – good enough to bring them into a tie with Cape Breton for third in the AUS. In a bizarre statistical twist, every women’s volleyball team in the AUS has a losing record, except for St. Mary’s University, which sits in first with a .500 win record.
The Tigers will have a chance to move into first place next week playing host to SMU and Acadia teams currently sitting atop the AUS.
The Tigers opened scoring in the first set on Friday, but a handful of aces served up by Manitoban outside hitter Lauren Schinkel, and middle blocker Kirstie Shepherd throwing up a series of superb blocks, was not enough to contain the Seahawks. They benefited from a number of errors from the Tiger team to win the first set by a score of 25-13.
Dal stormed to a 4-1 lead early in the second set, but the Newfoundlanders were able to find their way through Dal’s blocking while shutting down the Tigers offence with effective play close to the net.
A number of balls sent sailing out of bounds by the Tigers gave the lead to Memorial, despite strong play at the back of the court from Schinkel and rookie outside hitter Raeesa Lalani. Calgary-native Lalani anchored Dalhousie’s scoring, and while serving, managed to put her team up 22-21. Second-year science student Kirstie Shepherd sealed a 25-22 win in the second set.
Having made a game of it, the Tigers built up their confidence in the third and fourth sets, making fewer mistakes and improved co-ordination under the net. Setter Hilary Sears, a first-year engineering student from Bible Hill, Nova Scotia combined with teammates Maggie Morrison and Lousie Facca in wearing down the Seahawks. Six-foot-tall rookie Amy Yorke dominated the left side of the court, hammering several spikes down to Memorial’s hardwood.
The Seahawks kept the score close enough to keep the action exciting, but they were outmatched and surrendered the third and fourth sets by scores of 27-25 and 25-12. The Tigers dominated the Seahawks in the second match on Saturday, winning three straight sets 25-18, 25-13 and 25-18.
The Dalhousie men’s team also played back-to-back matches with Memorial over the weekend, winning both matches 3-0. The Dal men are undefeated against Atlantic teams this season, and are currently third in national rankings. Dalhousie’s men’s volleyball program has claimed 23 consecutive AUS titles, but has yet to produce a national champion.