HomeArts & CultureA parent's advice: hidden gems for every student

A parent’s advice: hidden gems for every student

gazette news logoIt feels like it was only yesterday when I found myself en route from Ottawa to Halifax to send my son off to university three years ago.

Considered to be an exceptionally organized individual, I remember having only a few small items left to pick up. I envisioned we would have ample time to be “tourists,” but I was wrong.

It is said that a crisis can test your ability to be resourceful. As I share with you some hidden gems we found in and around the Dalhousie, I hope that all students can find some helpful tips here.

1. Killam Help Desk: My son’s laptop died almost immediately upon arrival and I remember having visions of an exorbitant repair bill. After making some panic-stricken phone calls, we stumbled upon this incredible resource. Killam Help Desk and their staff are inside the Killam Library. The cost for repair was under $40.
  2. Coburg Coffee: Just down the street from Studley campus at 6085 Coburg Road, this gem is a hot spot for hot beverages, soups and paninis. Gift certificates are great for care packages.
  3. Halifax Public Gardens: A hop, skip and a jump from campus, this beautiful Victorian-inspired garden is an ideal spot for some quiet studying or a place to enjoy a quick picnic or brown bag lunch. You can find it north of Spring Garden Road, between South Park and Summer streets.
  4. The Art Expo: A great place to find reasonably priced posters for your home away from home. This gem is tucked away on the lower floor of the Park Lane Mall on 5657 Spring Garden Road.
  5. Alexander Keith’s Brewery: For Halifax newcomers, this is a period tour that you want to take in, located at 1496 Lower Water Street. Cheers!
  6. The DSU Health and Dental Plan: This is a student-oriented health plan that provides students with a full range of coverage and services. All full-time students are automatically enrolled in the DSU Health Plan with the price of tuition. This plan was an extraordinary relief to us when we were surprised by unexpected dental expenses.