Monday, May 13, 2024
HomeArts & CultureI can dance with you, honey

I can dance with you, honey

By Erica Eades, Assistant Arts Editor

The Grafton Street Dinner Theatre’s latest production, “Does Your Mother Know?” is three hours of non-stop entertainment that features the music of Swedish pop sensations, ABBA. But don’t be fooled by the obvious similarities to the famed Broadway musical, “Mamma Mia.” This show offers an entirely unique dining experience that combines an exceptional cast with sharp, witty dialogue and excellent food, to bring you a night out unlike any other.

The script, written by Cyndi Locke and Krista Lane, tells the story of the Halfpennys; a lively, somewhat dysfunctional batch of relatives who have gathered together for their tenth annual family reunion. As the story unfolds, arguments surrounding the rightful ownership of the family’s whiskey distillery dampen the spirits of all in attendance.

The lively cast members are in character from the moment their audience arrives. While guests relax in the theatre’s lounge area, the actors rush in to welcome everyone to the reunion. They are quick to make comments about how the guests have changed since they last saw them; reminiscent of the standard chit-chat at family gatherings.

This interaction marks the beginning of an evening rich with audience participation. Guests are encouraged to sing and dance throughout, and the cast members frequently serenade the visitors, while occasionally poking fun at them as well.

A significant aspect of the production is the remarkable range of talent amongst the cast and crew. The actors double as writers, artistic directors, wait staff, and band members. And there doesn’t seem to be a single job they don’t excel at.

The cast members play numerous instruments throughout the performance, and their vocal capacities are nothing short of exceptional.

The team works together flawlessly, but there are stand-out individual performances as well: Krista Lane throws down a myriad of impressive bass lines, while Ian Baird makes the keyboard and synthesizer seem effortless. Together with the outstanding vocal performances by leading ladies, Cyndi Locke and Kelley Edwards, the group brings an energy to each song that is undeniably captivating.

Of course, a dinner theatre would be nothing without the food. And the food at Grafton Street does not disappoint. The meal is served in intervals, with musical numbers and improvisational comedy in between. The actors deliver the food in a manner that is prompt and efficient, yet still entertaining. Guests can choose from a delectable list of entrees, which even includes a fresh and flavourful vegetarian option. The meal is then topped off with a spread of scrumptious desserts, such as strawberry cheesecake and crumbly apple crisp.

“Does Your Mother Know?” mixes hilarious comedy with the sweet sounds of ABBA. And that’s, surprisingly, a wonderful combination.

“Does Your Mother Know?” will be playing at Grafton Street Dinner Theatre until Nov. 21. Reservations can be made by calling their box office at 902 425 1961.