HomeArts & CultureWaltzing with Hobbits

Waltzing with Hobbits

Shot from Take This Waltz courtesy of the AFF.

The Away From Her director is back. But this time she’s tackling young love.

Last night I had the absolute pleasure of attending a screening of Canadian director Sarah Polley’s new film, Take This Waltz.

Like many films at this year’s festival, Polley’s flick is under a media embargo, so I won’t be giving a very thorough review. To be honest though, that probably works in your favour; this movie has ignited in me such a childlike excitement that I think I would end up giving a full plot synopsis and ruining the conclusion for everyone if given the chance.

Between Michelle Williams’ endearing, pixie-like persona and Sarah Silverman’s beautifully toned down portrayal of a recovering alcoholic, there is nothing I didn’t love about this movie. Add in the fact that we were shown a side of Seth Rogen that made my heart physically ache with joy and sadness, and it becomes pretty clear that Polley has created something truly magical with her latest project.

On a side note, the Lord of the Rings nerd in me (which I generally try to keep fairly well hidden) managed to creep out last night, as I noticed Billy Boyd (a.k.a. Peregrin “Pippin” Took) was seated just rows behind me. As some of you may know, Boyd is in town promoting his new film, Irvine Welsh’s Ecstasy, which premieres tonight at Park Lane as part of the Atlantic Film Festival.

Check back tomorrow morning for a full recap of tonight’s red carpet festivities. The event will include appearances from Boyd, Smallville star Kristin Kreuk, actor Adam Sinclair and director Rob Heydon.

**Editor’s Note: In an earlier version of this article, actress Kristin Kreuk’s name was spelled incorrectly. It has now been changed to the correct spelling.

Erica Eades
Erica Eades
Erica was the Gazette's Copy Editor and Arts Editor for Volume 144. She was an Assistant Arts Editor for Volume 143.