HomeNewsDalhousieLet the waiting begin

Let the waiting begin

Gazette Logo

More than a week after conciliation between the Dalhousie Faculty Association (DFA) and Dal administration came to a close, the conciliator has filed his report. On March 10 the DFA will legally be able to strike.

The DFA and administration will continue negotiating in the weeks before that date. At the time of print no meetings have been officially scheduled but both sides are publicizing their desire to get back to the table.

Karen Jannigan, communications officer for the DFA, said the association is looking forward to resuming talks.

“It is certainly a good sign that the Board’s team is finally eager to meet with the DFA’s team about substantive issues,” she said in an email Feb. 26.

Charles Crosby, spokesperson for Dal administration said in an email Feb. 27 that the administration had not received any official notice from the DFA but was “anxious” to return to the table.

“If we are going to come to an agreement—and we remain confident an agreement is possible—we need to be talking, so any sign that the DFA are ready to talk again is a very good thing.”

A post on the association’s website says the group moved to a new headquarters on Feb. 27 in preparation for a possible strike. The current headquarters is located on South Street, on Dal property, and the new location will be on Dresden Row.

Chris Saulnier, president of the Dal Student Union, has put together a comprehensive look at the main issues behind the negotiations. It has been emailed to students and is also available on the DSU website here.

Torey Ellis
Torey Ellis
Torey was the Copy Editor of the Gazette for Volume 145 and Assistant News Editor for Volume 144.