HomeSportsSoccerDal can't hold off UPEI

Dal can’t hold off UPEI

Women’s soccer lose in season opener

Women's soccer Sept 10, 2011- photo by Martina Marien
Rookie star Maria Scichilone holds off Dal's Alison Balan. Photo by Martina Marien

Correction: The initial headline on this story described UPEI as reigning AUS champions. Although they finished first in the regular season last year, Cape Breton took home the banner in the playoffs. The Gazette regrets the error.

The Tigers women’s soccer team opened their season Saturday at Wickwire Field against the UPEI Panthers, who were seen as the obvious favourite. The Panthers proved the prognosis correct as they held off a relentless, but mostly pathetic, Dalhousie offence for a 2-1 win.

Defence was the story of both team’s first regular season AUS game—one team had it, the other not so much. Panthers veteran keeper Chanelle Roy and the defence in front of her made the difference in this match.

Although the Tiger offence did have a bit of flare, it was again the Panthers who made a bigger impression. UPEI rookie Maria Scichilone had her first AUS goal and the first of the match. Veteran Chelsie McInnis later provided the second goal. Daphne Wallace is credited with the lone Dal goal.
Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Hailing from Saint John, Andrew followed his frosh leader to a Gazette contributor's meeting in his first week at Dalhousie and didn't look back. He took on the women's soccer beat, attending games at Wickwire no matter the weather and watching the webcast whenever the Tigers were on a different pitch. He does not claim any responsibility for the Tigers winning the league championship during his first season covering the team.