HomeSportsFootballSMU down Mounties

SMU down Mounties

By Armaan Ahluwalia, Staff Contributor

As a battle for first place, it was not very competitive. The St. Mary’s Huskies now sit tied atop the AUS standings after a 0–3 to start to the season. The Huskies defeated the Mount Allison Mounties by a score of 43–7.

The game was supposed to start at 2 p.m. but the Mounties bus broke down and it was pushed back to 3.  The lack of warm-up time didn’t affect the Mounties as they were down only 8–7, at the halfway mark.

The Huskies started off the game by scoring on a Devon Jones run.  After that play the Mounties defence did not budge, forcing the Huskies to two-and-outs all half.  The Mounties had trouble starting up their offence and only managed a touchdown in the second quarter.  Their offence was stalled for the rest of the game.

Going into half, penalties on both sides had really affected their drives.

The third quarter is where it went all downhill for the Mounties, outscored 28–0.  Devon Jones carried most of the offensive load scoring 2 more rushing touchdowns.

Fans made an early exit from the cold Husky Stadium as the quarter was winding down and the game was in hand.

By the fourth, most of the players on the field were back-ups getting some experience in a real game situation. Micah Brown was given a rest after a good game throwing no interceptions and moving the offence effectively.  Both sides were happy to see the final whistle blow—both just wanted to finish the game.

The defence of the Huskies came to play yet again and stopped the deadly Gary Ross from getting out of control.  They also managed to sack quarterback Jake Hotchkiss a number of times throughout the game.

Saint Mary’s showed that they are the premier team in the AUS conference.  In the last four games the Huskies have scored a total of 172 points for and have only conceded 39.

The Huskies have now locked up a playoff spot and will look to clinch home field advantage for the Loney Bowl.

Mount Allison heads back home to take on St. FX, who lost 34–0 to Acadia. The Huskies will travel to Acadia to try and avenge their opening week loss against the Axemen.