Monday, May 27, 2024
HomeArts & CultureBroken Social man

Broken Social man

By Sagar Jha, Staff Contributor

The Carleton was packed, the lights were low, and the mood was right. This cozy atmosphere drew in a relatively older crowd for Broken Social Scene member Jason Collett’s performance.

The music and atmosphere were perfect; however, the organization of the event was poor to say the least. There was a lot of confusion at the door, which resulted in a few people leaving. Not to mention the fact that the show started about an hour and a half late.

It was a shame that anyone had to miss this show. It was an incredible, intimate experience for everyone involved.

Supporting Collett was the amazingly soulful Daniel Romano. Romano performed with his younger brother Ian who played a soft snare drum in the background. The Ontario native created

soulful folk music that sounded like it had come straight from the prairies. It was obvious that Romano had recently suffered a heartbreak, as he stood on stage and poured his heart out to the crowd. He was incredibly well-received and despite his grim lyrics, he had phenomenal stage presence.

Shortly after Romano had left the crowd numb, Collett took to the stage armed with his guitar and a beer. He played a set full of both old and new songs. Collett was clearly exhausted as he had just arrived in Halifax. Regardless, he performed very well and told hilarious stories. He charmed the crowd with his deeply emotional lyrics and lively, upbeat character. He was the epitome of a friendly Canadian, as he was very modest and thankful for the crowd.

Collett performed a total of 20 songs on stage for around two hours. This extended set was extremely warm and the perfect way to end the evening.