HomeSportsBasketballTigers lose to Capers 85-84 in OT – still clinch first place...

Tigers lose to Capers 85-84 in OT – still clinch first place for playoffs

The men’s B-ball Tigers dropped their final regular season game 85-84 in OT to the Cape Breton Capers in Cape Breton on Friday, Feb. 26.

The Tigers still finished first in the AUS and will have a first round bye in the playoffs. Their first game will be on Saturday March 5 at 6:30pm against the winner of SMU and UNB. The final will be Sunday March 4 at 4:30pm.

The game against the Capers was a thriller.

The Tigers took the first quarter 21-16 and the two teams were even in the second at 22-22, giving the Tigers a 43-38 lead at the half.

The Capers won the third 20-17 to send the game to the fourth at 60-58 Tigers.

A Jordan Aquino-Serjue free-throw gave the Tigers a 77-74 lead with 0:08 on the clock in the fourth. Kenny Jean-Louis drilled a three with 0:02 seconds left to tie it at 77-77 and send the game to OT. The Capers won the fourth 19-17.

A Sven Stammberger free-throw with 0:11 left in OT gave the Tigers an 84-82 lead. The Capers had more buzzer-beater magic in store though, as Jack Macaulay hit a three as time ran out to give the Capers the win.

Kashrell Lawrence led the Tigers with a monster performance of 30PTS, 5REB, 3AST and 2STL. Stammberger finished up with 14PTS, 9REB, 1AST and 3STL. Jarred Reid had 13PTS, 4REB, 3AST and 2STL. Ritchie Kanza Mata had 12PTS, 7REB and 9AST coming just short of a triple-double, while Aquino-Serjue added 9PTS, 8REB and 1AST.

All Tigers fans should deck themselves out in black and gold, find their way to the Scotiabank Centre on Saturday, Mar. 5 at 6:30 p.m. and make some noise for the Tigers as they try to go back-to-back.