Wednesday, May 1, 2024
HomeExplore the finer side of beer
Array

Explore the finer side of beer

Garrison Brewery

University is a time of commitment to learning—you broaden your horizons by slogging through Dante’s Inferno, or by doing whatever it is that you science people do here. You may even learn that there is more to drinking than downing and regurgitating a litre of Colt 45 or Boone’s strawberry over a two-hour period.

For those looking to learn all about this crazy stuff called “beer,” the hands-on approach is recommended. Exploring the offerings of Halifax’s many microbreweries is a great way to get schooled on enjoying quality brewski.

Check out Garrison Brewing Company (1149 Marginal Rd) for a variety of classic on-tap ales, from Nut Brown to Irish Red, as well as a roster of seasonals and specialties, like the thick Martello Stout and Black I.P.A (that’s ‘India Pale Ale,’ for the uninitiated).

Get a 1.89 litre growler filled with autumnal Pumpkin Ale or Extra Special Bitter at Propeller Brewery (2015 Gottingen St), or try the award-winning Bohemian Pilsner, described as having a “slightly sulphurous nose…and light malt sweetness.”

In a cool cellar beneath Your Father’s Moustache is the illustrious Rockbottom Brew Pub (5686 Spring Garden). Voted Halifax’s best brew pub by The Coast readers, Rockbottom has a variety of premium beers and in-house concoctions, like the Fathom I.P.A, and weekly small batch brews called firkins.

Zoe Doucette
Zoe Doucette
Zoe was Assistant Arts Editor for the Gazette's 146th Volume.