Sunday, April 28, 2024
HomeUncategorizedLosing skid finally ends at 11

Losing skid finally ends at 11

Men’s hockey takes gutsy victory

Trying to get a shot past St. Thomas goalie Charles Lavigne. Photo by Martina Marien.
Brendon MacDonald tries to get a shot past St. Thomas goalie Charles Lavigne. Photo by Martina Marien.

Dalhousie forward Brett Theberge’s lone goal 3:59 into the third period was enough to propel his team to a 1 – 0 shutout win against St. Thomas Jan. 6, snapping the Tigers’ 11-game losing streak. The match was also former assistant Chris Donnelly’s first victory behind the bench since being promoted to head coach during the holiday break.

After two scoreless periods in which Dal demonstrated a strong ability to forecheck and create scoring opportunities, Theberge finally capitalized. He fired a wrist shot past St. Thomas goalie Charles Lavigne.

The game was Theberge’s first regular season contest since an injury forced him out of the lineup for two games in late November.

Dal will hope to start a new streak beginning Jan. 7 when they host Moncton at Memorial Arena at 7 p.m.

Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Originally from Lahore, Pakistan, Arfa moved to Canada at the age of nine. She spent a year in Toronto before moving to Halifax. In the East Coast, not sure how (must be a Canadian thing!), but she began to watch and love hockey. Arfa started writing for the Gazette in her last year of high school as part of a cooperative education internship. Once she graduated, she came to Dal to study Political Science. Aside from continuing to write for the paper, Arfa completed an internship with Global Maritimes.