HomeUncategorizedThe ones who have your back (HINT: it’s us!)

The ones who have your back (HINT: it’s us!)

Allow me to introduce myself. By that, I mean myself when I was a Frosh entering my first year of university three years ago.

I had no idea where to find anything (which is sad, considering I was a King’s student in a school smaller than my high school), no idea if my roommate and I would get along, no idea if I was in the right program (the coin toss that decided my future could just as easily have sent me to cooking school), no idea where to find ink for my printer and, most importantly, no idea where to find a good cup of coffee— which, what with all of this non-thinking, I desperately needed.

Sound familiar?

The good news is that before long you’ll know where all of your classes are (not that you’ll necessarily ever go to them). You will have turned whatever commonalities you have with your roommate into fully-fledged drinking games (thank you, Gilmore Girls).

You will have discovered that people switch their major to match their weekly horoscope, and you will have mapped out a network of coffee shops within your regular walking parameters that will allow you to maintain a constant shake and irregular heartbeat.

The printer ink, I still have not figured out. Some things were just not meant to be.

So don’t be disheartened. From first-year me to you, here’s a little piece of advice.

Embrace every beautiful sweet awkward moment of your first year. And if you ever need some direction or perspective, you’ve got Us.

By Us, of course I mean the Dal Gazette, your one-stop shop for news, advice, stories, photos, contests, games, comics and more. Your ink-stained fingers will be proof that we have something to offer in every issue; we always have something to float your boat and remind you why you belong.

And if you want to keep your fingers ink-free and manicure-ready, we’ve still got something for you. You can check us out in our entirety on our link to the Interwebs: www.dalgazette.com, where you’ll find breaking news, weekly newscasts, beautiful photos, and all of your favourite stories. Not to mention you can always find us on Twitter and Facebook as well.

But if none of that appeals to you, we can at least offer you our precious pages to be used in whatever fashion suits your needs—rain deflector, fuel for a fire (to warm your crappy cold student house) or as cookie sheets for the dozens of justifiable comfort-filled treats you’ll make for yourself before turning in your overdue essay.

Or, if Martha Stewart is more your style, you can even cut out some nice hipster doilies or scrunch up our pages and stuff them into a pillowcase. Seriously, it’s not below us. We’ve got your back.

So whether you have been excitedly counting down the days of your summer job to get for your first day of university or you are returning for another year of learnin’— remember us, because we sure as hell will remember you.

So see you next week then. We’ll be here, (in newsstands, not Frosh packs) every Friday for our next date.

Till then, cheers.

Katrina Pyne
Katrina Pyne
Katrina was Editor-in-chief of the Gazette for Volume 145 and News Editor for Volume 144.