HomeArts & CultureThe Gallery Pub

The Gallery Pub

Caroline Elias, Staff Contributor

During the evenings, The Paragon Theatre provides Halifax with up-and-coming bands and DJs. But during the day, it is now open as a restaurant.

The Gallery Pub, which opened on Dec. 27, takes up the front half of the venue.  The name comes from the paintings that hang, showing different bands and singers who have performed over the years. There are over 100 paintings—all done by local artist, Peter Farmer—and are signed by the musicians the night of their performance.

Despite the fact that The Gallery is a new restaurant, the food was delicious. The super garlic cheese toast (an appetizer for $4.50) was, as the name suggests, very garlic-y, and had an ample amount of cheese. Served on pita bread, it was small enough for two people to share, without worrying about having enough room for a main course.

The list of entrées offers a variety of options: all-day breakfast, pizza, pasta, fish and burgers. The “Gallery Club” ($11.50) adds an interesting twist to the classic chicken club sandwich by adding avocado. It is very fresh, and the blend of avocado makes it an intriguing taste experience.

“Decision Burger” ($11.50) is exactly that: a thick patty on artisan bread with a lot of choices. Two toppings are complementary (ranging from sautéed mushrooms to bacon and blue cheese) and there is a long list of condiments to choose from.

Both of these entrées are served with roasties (small potato wedges) and a small salad. The portions are small enough that you don’t leave feeling stuffed, yet big enough that you are satisfied.

The dessert was as delectable as the main course. “The Campfire Martini” ($6.50) is served in a martini glass, warmed, with crumbled graham cracker on the bottom, chocolate brownie in the middle, hot fudge, and finally, marshmallows on top. Definitely a good dessert to share between two people!

One of the wonderful things about The Gallery is that many of the options have vegan and vegetarian substitutes.  In fact, there is an entire portion of the menu devoted to non-meat eaters.

The service at the restaurant is as good as the food. The waiters are friendly and more than happy to give you advice on the food choices.

The Gallery is more expensive than the average pub, and has smaller portions. Because of its unique décor, and its slightly higher price range, it makes a great place for a date!

The Gallery Pub is located inside the Paragon Theater at 2037 Gottingen St.. It is open for food service Monday through Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Sunday for Brunch from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.