Thursday, May 2, 2024

Sports Briefs

Photo by Erica Roberts via St. FX Athletics

Women’s basketball bows out at AUS semis

An upset brought Dalhousie to the semifinals, but luck would not shove them any farther.

The No. 6 Tigers entered the AUS women’s basketball championship in Antigonish as the lowest seed, but that didn’t stop them from overpowering No. 3 Saint Mary’s in the quarterfinal 80 – 53 Mar. 2.

AUS second team all-star Keisha Brown led her side with a strong 31 point performance.

Luck ran out for the Tigers the next day as they were unable to defeat No. 2 Cape Breton. The defending champs endured for a 77 – 61 victory.

Dal was in the match until the third quarter when they were outscored 31 – 12.

Courtney Thompson took player of the game honours for the Tigers. She netted 17 points.

Acadia left the tournament as league champs, taking home the program’s first banner since 1952.

Men’s volleyball toppled at nationals 

The AUS champion Tigers were simply outclassed on the national stage.

Dalhousie fell in the quarterfinal, and then were defeated 3 – 0 once more in the consolation to bow out of the CIS men’s volleyball championship in Kingston, Ont., without posing much of a threat.

The Tigers, the lowest seed in the tournament, were unfortunately matched against the defending champion Trinity Western Spartans in the quarterfinals. The Tigers proved to be a minimal challenge for the top-seeded team, which beat Dal in straight sets.

Kenneth Rauwerda led the Tigers with nine kills and seven digs.

Dal was relegated to the consolation round the day after against the No. 4 Alberta Golden Bears and didn’t fare much better, again losing in straight sets.

Later in the weekend, the top-seeded Spartans repeated as national champions.

Residence hockey game Saturday

Howe and Risley will once again take their rivalry to the ice.

Memorial Arena is often at its loudest during the residence charity hockey game, and the seventh annual game this weekend should be no exception. The Howe Hall Trojans and Risley Big Horns will face off Mar. 10 at 6:30 p.m. in what will be the final charity game played at Memorial Arena.

The Dal residences have been raising money for the past five years for the IWK Health Centre. They are expected to exceed a fundraising total of $100,000 this year.

Tickets go for $7 in advance at the SUB info desk or $10 at the door.

Ian Froese
Ian Froese
Ian was the Gazette's Editor-in-chief for Volume 146. He was the Sports Editor for Volumes 145 and 144.