HomeSportsTigers top Huskies in title rematch

Tigers top Huskies in title rematch

Dal's women's volleyball team will play in the AUS Championship semi-finals on Feb. 16 (Chris Parent photo)

The Dalhousie women’s volleyball team had two streaks in jeopardy when they faced the second place Saint Mary’s Huskies Feb. 10 at the Dalplex. On the line was an undefeated streak against AUS opponents, while not dropping a set in their last eight matches.

The game seemed like a lock leading into the third set, but it became a slugfest, with neither team taking more than a three-point lead in the third.

The Huskies, led by Shelby Michaels with eight kills in the final set, made the Tigers work for every point. There were multiple marathon rallies, with athletes sacrificing their bodies for what seemed like impossible digs.

It wasn’t until Louise Facca served an ace for a 30-29 lead that the momentum swung in the Tigers’ favour. On the next point, after a bit of a rally, it was a Tara Gowan and Petra Rafuse block that extended Dal’s winning streak to 14.

The Huskies were determined to play spoiler on senior day, Dal’s last game of the  regular season, but it was those Tiger seniors who stepped up and delivered the victory. Dal’s Hilary Sears was everywhere on the floor with 26 assists and 11 digs, while Facca led the Tigers with 11 kills. The two graduating players shared player of the game honours.

The Tigers will look for this momentum to continue next weekend at the AUS championships hosted at Memorial University.

Dal will meet the winner of UNB-St. Francis Xavier Saturday, Feb. 16 in the semifinals at 4:30 p.m.