HomeSportsFootballDal football anticipates bright future

Dal football anticipates bright future

First impressions favourable at training camp

All eyes on the tigers. Photo by Paul Balite

Dalhousie football head coach, Mike Tanner spoke consistently last season about his team needing more size and better athletes, while emphasizing the role of building a strong foundation for the future.

This year’s group, Tanner says, more than fits the bill.

“Of course, you can always have bigger bodies, I’d never say no to that. But right now we’re 1,000 per cent better than [we were] this time last year,” said Tanner. “We’re already miles ahead of last year’s training camp, and just looking at the shear size and athleticism, we’re a lot better off.”

This summer the Tigers saw 67 players attend their first open tryout, a substantial increase from the 28 attendees last year for the squad’s first tryout since its 34-year hiatus.

Training camp, as of last Saturday, boasts four quarterbacks, seven running backs and countless wide-receivers, a big change from last year when injuries saw players out of position on a regular basis, trying to fill numerous holes in the lineup.

Returnees from last season include standouts Brendan Festeryga and Greg Pelly. Defensive captain and new team president, Bryce Wade will also be back, hoping to push his injury-riddled season behind him and return to full strength.

“Our offence looks to be our strength right now, but it’s up to our defence to put in the work and meet the challenge.”

As for the home opener against UNB Saint John, Tanner isn’t prepared to make any predictions as the Tigers embark on their six-game regular season.

“We know we can be the better football team. Last year they just pounded the ball down our throats and didn’t show much sophistication when they beat us. We like our chances and will continue to push to meet the standard we set last season.

“At the end of the day, we’ll have to see how many 300 pounders show up on the other side of the ball this year.”

The Dalhousie Tigers open their season Sept. 17 against the defending champion UNB Saint John Sea Wolves in a rematch of the 2010 championship. Fans are invited to show up early as a sellout crowd is once again expected. Tickets are available at the Dalplex.

Henry Whitfield
Henry Whitfield
You can follow Henry on Twitter at @HenryWhitfield, where he tweets about sports far too much.