Friday, September 27, 2024
HomeArts & CultureTheatreWelcome to the Cabaret!

Welcome to the Cabaret!

Crescent Moon Cabaret is unlike any show in Halifax. Founded in 2022 and inspired by 20th century vaudeville and burlesque shows, Crescent Moon Cabaret is a variety show that celebrates queer joy through drag, musical numbers and burlesque. Equipped with a drink from the bar, audiences can expect a loud, interactive and uproariously fun show.

Let’s get this show started

The company’s third show, on Sept. 14, began with a musical number from Cat McCluskey, the evening’s host, who ushered the audience through the show as a ringmaster with a touch of snark and lots of good humour. Her assistant for the night was delightful stage kitten extraordinaire Miss Shapen, who scoured the audience for tips with an impressively long butterfly net. 

Drag performer G-Spott performed two high energy lip-sync songs. Her first number ended in dramatic fashion as she launched herself off a nearly broken chair into the air, ending the routine in the splits. While obviously unscripted, her masterful recovery was audacious, as she continued on her performance with the poise of a true queen.

Lacia Majora performed a standout drag routine to the theme song of Bill Nye the Science Guy, a tour de force that left audiences hooting and hollering. Dressed in booty shorts and a true to life Bill Nye wig, Majora educated the audience on the scientific concepts of gravity, velocity and viscosity through a mix of humour, dance and explicit charades.

Not to be outdone, self-proclaimed “nerdy” burlesque performer Elle Lixer began her second act of the night as Audrey II from the musical Little Shop of Horrors. Throughout her performance, she dawned an oversized cardboard mask of a bloodthirsty Venus flytrap, defined by bright red lips that lip-synched along to the music. The major reveal of the number was her scantily-clad body emerging, in gorgeously intricate green lingerie, from an oversized plant pot. Halifax has never seen a sexier plant.

Little bit of this, little bit of that

Jayden Gigliotti’s performance marked a major tonal shift, as the understated artist performed a  masterful juggling routine. Wide-eyed and innocent throughout the performance, Gigliotti managed to execute a suspenseful and stylish routine juggling six balls in epic synchronicity.

Vanessa Furlong, lead singer of the band Three Sheet took to the stage for an acoustic set. Her on stage banter had the audience giggling, while her melancholic love songs turned the audience contemplative. Even while dealing with tech issues (an uncooperative guitar jack), Furlong’s stage presence was fantastic, and she showcased her clear musical talent. 

The highlight of the evening, however, was the delightfully playful and sexy number of Logan Wolfe and Avalon Moore. With a film noir, 1950s aesthetic, their jazz club-inspired musical number left the audience swooning, particularly as Wolfe, to the tune of his partner’s seductive crooning, progressively lost his suit, ending the routine in a cheetah print jockstrap.

Crescent Moon Cabaret is a fun night out, especially for those looking for more opportunities to support local performers and yearning for a chance to experience queer joy and playfulness with a touch of lustful erotic appreciation.

So, when’s the next show?

The next cabaret at the Bus Stop Theatre Co-op is an anime-themed cabaret on Sept. 28 at 7:30 p.m. With performers Aiya Xiaoxin, Hannibal Lickeder, Izzy Limpwrist, Kinky Keyda, The Lady Corbeau, Mel Manhattan, Randi E. Rogenous, Scarlett Rose, Velvet Orchid and Vincent St. Grace, the performance is sure to be another memorable night for all.

For any aspiring drag or burlesque performers in the Dal community, Crescent Moon Cabaret has an open call for talent through their Instagram @crescent_moon_caberet. For those rebellious souls who dream of running away to the circus, in Halifax, the cabaret may just be the next best thing.