HomeSportsBasketballColley the hero in Huskies' win

Colley the hero in Huskies’ win

Tigers guard Anna von Maltzahn contends for the ball. Photo by Alice Hebb

A match between two cross-town rivals inspired a packed house at the Dalplex Jan. 14 with fans on both sides eagerly anticipating a good show. Unfortunately for Dalhousie, that show was put on by Saint Mary’s third-year guard Justine Colley as she led the visiting Huskies to a 73 – 58 win. Colley, the game MVP, led the contest in scoring with 29 points, including shooting 3-for-7 from three-point land.

Dal didn’t help their case to jump up in the standings with the defeat. The Tigers’ have a 2 – 6 record and are in seventh place. The league-leading Huskies are 9 – 2.

The game was tightly contested for the first half with the Tigers actually leading 14 – 12 after the opening quarter, and only down 29 – 27 at halftime. It was the third quarter, however, where Colley and the Huskies came alive. It was Colley’s most productive quarter as she scored 10 points, and then her teammates added 19 more as they built an insurmountable 13-point lead at 58 – 45.

The story of the game for the Tigers was domination on the boards. They had a 59 – 33 rebounding advantage, including 31 offensive rebounds. Disappointingly for the home side, the team was unable to turn those second chance scoring opportunities into points. Led in rebounding by third-year guard Anna von Maltzahn with 14, her 2-for-11 shooting percentage was a microcosm of the team, which shot a paltry 31.6 per cent from the field as a whole. Even more damning for Dal was shooting 57 per cent from free throw range, including a stretch of four straight missed free throws in the crucial third quarter.

One bright spot for the Tigers was player of the game Tessa Stammberger, a first-year guard. Scoring six points in the first quarter, it seemed early that the Tigers would ride her hot hand that night. That hand went cold, however, as she ended with just nine more points. She also added four rebounds.

The UPEI Panthers visit the Dalplex Jan. 21 at 6 p.m.