Thursday, May 2, 2024
HomeSportsMen's hockey lose 6–5 to Acadia

Men’s hockey lose 6–5 to Acadia

By Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor

The 2010/11 Dalhousie Tigers men’s hockey team opened their exhibition schedule with a 6-5 loss to the Acadia Axemen. The Tigers started slow but fought their way back into the game.

“It was a real exhibition game. There was not much defence there, although it was only 27 shots a side. I thought it was wide open, both teams were trying out different players so I thought it was just an opportunity to evaluate,” said Pete Belliveau head coach of the Dalhousie Tigers.

Zachary Firlotte opened the scoring for Acadia, scoring on wrist shot from just outside the crease. A few seconds later, Dalhousie’s Francois Gauthier was called for a slashing penalty.

Just 18 seconds into the power play. the Axemen’s Jonathan Laberge scored on a slap- shot from the point. Before the first period was over Acadia added one more goal to make the score 3–0.

“We had not a very good first period; we just continued to get better throughout the game and finished really strong in the third,” said Ryan Jenner, captain of the Dalhousie Tigers.
It was a more even second period as both teams scored and kept pace with each other. Just 42 seconds into the second period Brett Plouffe got the Tigers on the scoreboard, jumping on a rebound.

Just as it seemed that the Tigers were starting to gain momentum, Acadia came right back with a goal of their own on a blast from the point. The rest of the period went much the same way with both teams trading chances but Acadia coming out on top with a 6–3 lead.

Tigers opened the scoring in the third on a goal by Brad McConnell. The score now 6–4, it seemed as if the Tigers were attempting a comeback. With just under 5 minutes left, Gauthier was awarded a penalty shot after being brought down by Acadia on a breakaway chance.

Gauthier made Acadia pay as he scored on a great wrist shot to make it 6–5 and the Tigers were right back in it.

With 40 seconds left to play, the Tigers called a time out. Off the offensive zone face-off, Dal were able to score. The crowd roared, as they thought the Tigers had tied up the game only to find out that the goal had been called back due the net coming off its moorings.

Following the game, the head coach and Captain of the Dalhousie Tigers discussed what they expect from the coming season.

“Well, we just talked about it in the dressing room, you know. We expect to be in the top half of the league, third or fourth, that’s where we are projected to place,” said Jenner.

The Tigers finished just one point out of the play-offs last season.

“Our expectations are to make the play-offs and show an exciting brand of hockey,” said Belliveau.

Since the writing of this article, the men’s hockey team beat Moncton 3–2 in a shootout to bring their pre-season record to 2–2.