HomeSportsHockeySports Briefs

Sports Briefs

Varsity Reds forward Stefan Salituro faces fierce opposition from Tigers as he crashes the net. Photo by Andrew Meade via the Brunswickan

The Dalhousie Tigers men’s hockey team earned a valuable point this past weekend. A 3 – 2 overtime loss against CIS-ranked UNB Jan. 28 was enough to keep Dal within one point of the sixth and final AUS playoff spot. They were unable to come out with a victory the night before in their previous game, a 4 – 2 defeat at the hands of the UPEI Panthers.

After losing 2 – 1 against Moncton, the St. FX X-Men, who currently hold the last playoff spot, managed to squeak out a 2 – 1 shootout win against the league-worst St. Thomas to stay ahead in the race by a single point.

No.1 goalie Bobby Nadeau was back in the net during last Friday’s match-up for the Tigers after he missed four straight games because he re-injured his groin. An early two-goal lead, however, would not be enough for Dal to get the win Jan 27.

The Tigers have five games remaining on the regular season schedule. Following rematches against UPEI and UNB at home this weekend, they will face off against St. FX twice, including the season’s last game which could make or break either team’s season, and Acadia Feb 10.

Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Originally from Lahore, Pakistan, Arfa moved to Canada at the age of nine. She spent a year in Toronto before moving to Halifax. In the East Coast, not sure how (must be a Canadian thing!), but she began to watch and love hockey. Arfa started writing for the Gazette in her last year of high school as part of a cooperative education internship. Once she graduated, she came to Dal to study Political Science. Aside from continuing to write for the paper, Arfa completed an internship with Global Maritimes.