HomeSportsTigers knock off Axewomen 3-0

Tigers knock off Axewomen 3-0

The women’s v-ball Tigers closed out their regular season with a 3-0 (25-13, 25-23, 26-24) win over the Acadia Axewomen in Wolfville N.S on Sunday, Feb. 21. The win gives the Tigers a 14-3 record on the season: good for first place in the AUS and a first round bye at the upcoming AUS championships.

The first set was all Tigers as they led from the opening point and did not look back on their way to a 25-13 score in the frame.

The second set was a much closer affair as the Axewomen upped their game in the frame. The Tigers were able to build a 7-2 lead early in the set but the Axewomen responded and were able to tie it up at 16-16.

The Axewomen took the lead 22-21 on a kill by Jazmin Prest. The Tigers answered back with kills from Amy Appleby and Anna Dunn-Suen before a Sarah Ross kill tied it up again at 23-23. The Axewomen committed consecutive errors and the Tigers won the set 25-23.

The third set was all Axewomen early on as they built a 5-0 lead. The Tigers started to claw back but the Axewomen took a 16-12 lead into the technical timeout. The next 14 points saw the Tigers make it 20-20 yet four points after that the Axewomen had set point at 24-20.

Victoria Haworth made a kill for the Tigers, then the Axewomen made two hitting errors, followed by two Appleby service aces and the Tigers found themselves with set and match point at 25-24. Dunn-Suen picked up a kill to finish off the match as the Tigers took the third 26-24 and the match 3-0.

Dunn-Suen led the Tigers with 9K. Courtney Baker added 5K. Abby Czenze had 22A and Appleby came up with 14DIGS.

The Tigers will be back on the court in Wolfville for the AUS championships on Saturday, Feb. 27 where they will play the lowest remaining seed. If they win that match, they will play in the finals on Sunday Feb. 28.