HomeSportsSoccerTigers Soccer recaps for the week ending Oct. 9, 2015

Tigers Soccer recaps for the week ending Oct. 9, 2015

Men’s Soccer

The Tigers played to a 2-2 draw on Friday, Oct. 2 against the Acadia Axemen at Raymond Field in Wolfville, NS. The draw pushed the Tigers record to 3-2-2 through seven games this season good for third place in the AUS.

The game started poorly for the Tigers, as they found themselves down 1-0 in just the 7th minute on an Axemen goal by Travis Fenning.

Neither team was able to find goal again in the first half and the Axemen hit the break up by one.

The Tigers stormed out of the gate in the second half and Zach Mbolekwa capitalized twice in the 53rd and 64th minutes to give the Tigers a 2-1 lead.

The Axemen evened it up in the 79th minute on a goal by Cochrane Noseworthy-Smith and the score stayed there for the 2-2 final.

The Tigers fired nine shots in the match to the Axemens 16. Tigers Keeper Jason Ross made four saves.

Men’s Soccer

In action at Wickwire Field on Saturday Oct. 3 against the University of P.E.I Panthers the Tigers picked up a 2-0 win. The victory upped the Tigers record to 4-2-2 through eight games this season and solidified their third place spot in the AUS.

The match pitted the third place Tigers against the fourth place Panthers in a battle that could have large importance on the playoff seeding in the AUS this year.

The two sides showed why they are so close in the standings in an even and hard fought game.

The first half had a slight possession edge in favour of the Tigers but saw the Panthers dominate the scoring chances. The Panthers fired six shots on Tigers Keeper Jason Ross and he made four saves. The Tigers caught a break when Kieran Moore of the Panthers hit a header past Ross but was deemed to be just offside on the play.

The second half had a lot of action at both sides of the pitch with the Tigers outshooting the Panthers 8-5.

In the 83rd minute of the match the Tigers finally found goal. Zach Mbolekwa got the ball on the top of the 18-yard box and cut to his right firing a strike into the bottom right corner for his third goal of the weekend and a 1-0 Tigers lead.

The Tigers picked up an insurance marker in the 88th minute. Will Kafeero made a nice turn towards goal on the left side of the 18-yard box and patiently placed a kick under the charging Panther Keeper Brett Strba for a 2-0 Tigers lead.

The total shots in the match were 11-10 in favour of the Panthers. Ross and Strba were each stellar with six saves apiece. Ross picked up his fourth clean-sheet of the season.

Women’s Soccer

Playing at Raymond Field in Wolfville, NS against the University of Acadia Axewomen the Tigers played to a 2-2 draw. The tie made the Tigers record 2-3-2 through seven games.

The Tigers opened the match with a bang when Rachelle Lalande scored on a feed from Doriana Homerski in only the 4th minute putting the Tigers up 1-0.

The rest of the first half was action packed and had another eight shots fired by the Tigers along with eight shots by the Axewomen. Both Keepers were busy with Katie Morgan for the Tigers and Emma Connell for the Axewomen making four saves a piece to keep the score at halftime 1-0 Tigers.

The Axewomen notched their first of the match in the 55th minute when Meghan Earle buried a chance supplied by Nicolle Wambolt making the score 1-1.

Kristy McGregor-Bale answered back for the Tigers in the 69th minute giving her side a 2-1 lead.

The Tigers were minutes away from closing out the win but in the 87th minute Kinsella Noseworthy-Smith capitalized an opportunity provided by Abigail Cook to even the score at 2-2.

The match had the Tigers fire 14 shots to the Axewomens 19. Katie Morgan ended up with 10 saves for the Tigers.

Women’s Soccer

The Tigers dropped a 1-0 affair to the University of P.E.I Panthers on Saturday Oct. 3 at Wickwire Field. The loss dropped the Tigers record to 2-4-2 through eight games and leaves them in seventh place in the AUS one spot out of the playoff picture.

The Tigers controlled the ball for the majority of the game but were unable to translate their possession into any goals at ‘the Wick’ on Saturday.

The Tigers fired four shots on the Panther goal in the first half but Keeper Ashley Mckenna made three saves to keep the Tigers off the board.

The best opportunity for the Tigers in the first half came when Adelle Goodfellow cut to her right foot and sent a powerful strike on goal from 25-yards out forcing Mckenna to make a highlight reel diving punch save with her right hand.

The second half was much like the first with the Tigers controlling the ball but the Panthers back line continued to do a wonderful job preventing any of the Tigers from turning on goal.

In the 60th minute the Panthers were awarded a ‘free-kick’ on the left sideline from 35-yards out. Jerika Gimpel sent a perfectly placed ball on to the head of Emilie Pelletier who made no mistake depositing the ball in the Tigers goal for the 1-0 Panthers lead.

The Tigers had a glorious opportunity to tie the game late when they were awarded a ‘free-kick’ 22-yards out from the Panthers goal in the middle of the pitch. Kristy McGregor-Bale blasted a strike that had Mckenna beat but sailed just over the bar.

The Tigers outshot the Panthers 9-2 in the match and McKenna ended up with eight saves.

Up next for Tigers Soccer

The squads will host the Saint Mary’s University Huskies at Wickwire Field on Friday, Oct. 16.