Sunday, May 5, 2024
HomeSportsSoccerTigers suffer worst loss of the season

Tigers suffer worst loss of the season

By Arfa Ayub, Sports Contributor

It was a match-up anticipated by many AUS fans: the Dalhousie Tigers facing off against their arch-rivals, the Saint Mary’s Huskies. Sloppy play by Dalhousie’s defense led the Tigers to 6-1 loss, their worst of the season.

“We actually thought that Dalhousie was going to be a team that was gonna try to kill us at the first moment, that’s why we tried to score as many goals as we could and I think it was a well done job,” said Jonattan Cordoba, midfielder for the Huskies

Before the game the Huskies were averaging two and a half goals per game while the Tigers seemed to be in a bit of a funk, struggling to score against Cape Breton. The game started with a good pace, with both the teams feeling each other out. The Huskies opened the scoring in the 23rd minute on a goal by Cordoba.

The Tigers tied the game on a header by Nathan Rogers. The goal was a huge relief for the Tigers because someone other than Ross Hagan had finally scored. It seemed as if it was game on. Just as the Tigers began to gain momentum, the Huskies’ Cordoba scored his second goal of the game to make it 2–1. This time, Cordoba came running down the field to Dalhousie’s end and kicked a shot right over the head of Dalhousie’s goal keeper Ben Ur.

After that it all started to fall apart for the Tigers. For the rest of the game the Tigers seemed to lack spirit.

“We have great strikers, basically a great team—we play very quick, that’s what I think killed their defence,” says Cordoba.

With the score 2–1 Huskies, the Huskies weren’t about relax just yet. Adding to the Tigers misery, Elvir Gigolaj scored in the 43rd minute to give the Huskies a 3–1 lead.

The second half was no different than the first, with the Huskies adding three more goals. A sloppy play by Dalhousie’s defense, allowed Shane Rajaraman to find open room and put the ball into the net past Ur.

Only two minutes later, Nils Webber scored a goal set up by the speedy Cordoba near the sideline.

Late in the second half the Huskies were awarded a penalty kick, which they took advantage of on a goal scored by Shawn Kodejs. Kodejs kicked the ball to the low left side, just past Ur.