HomeSportsSoccerTigers Women’s Soccer fall to 0-2

Tigers Women’s Soccer fall to 0-2

Playing the second leg of back-to-back games this weekend at Wickwire Field, the women’s soccer Tigers lost 6-1 to the Acadia Axewomen on Sunday.

Head coach Jack Hutchison was less than pleased with his team’s effort through the match.

“You have to bring the intensity up a bit,” said Hutchison. “Maybe some of the people we have in certain positions … we may have to revisit that or the system we’re playing, but right now it’s definitely not working.”

The Tigers opened the match by controlling the ball and pushing the play towards the Axewomen’s goal.

Only two minutes in the Tigers had an opportunity to open the scoring but a diving save by Axewomen keeper Emma Connell kept the score at 0-0.

Moments later, Tigers back Amanda Bowles sent a beautiful cross in off a corner where a Tigers player managed to put a head on the ball and direct it towards the goal, but a desperation punch by Connell sent it off the woodwork and away from goal.

Tigers first-year striker April Trowbridge opened the scoring at the 14:28 mark, cutting to the middle about 30 yards out and firing a shot with her left foot that deflected off an Axewoman’s defender before catching the crossbar and finding the net – officially scored to Shea Jeffery-Novak, but it was Trowbridge who shot.

From that point on it was all Axewomen. Meghan Earle turned on a pass and found herself all alone in on Tigers keeper Tilda Hadley, Earle fired with her right-foot but Hadley made a stellar save.

At the 30:54 mark, Kinsella Noseworthy-Smith went on a solo rush before cutting to her left-foot and sending a spectacular bending strike from 18-yards into the net to make it 1-1 at the half.

Only 32 seconds into the 2nd half, Earle went on a rush chipping the ball over Hadley and then calmly tapping the ball into goal for a 2-1 Axewomen lead.

Moments later, Axewoman Katie Ross went on a long rush up right-wing, cutting down the end line into the box and putting a tap pass on the boot of Noseworthy-Smith who scored her second and made it 3-1.

At the 62:00 mark, more Axewomen pressure had the ball bouncing in the Tigers six-yard box and into the back of the net for an own-goal, officially scored to Noseworthy-Smith.

The 78:00 mark brought another Axewomen goal as Brittany Taylor worked up the right wing and worked a perfect cross into Jenna Boudreau who was all alone on the edge of the six-yard box and made it 5-1.

The final score came in the 89th minute off an Axewomen corner, the ball went to Gemma Leblanc who fired with the left-foot from 25 yards out, Hadley made a diving save but the rebound went straight back to Leblanc who fired with the left-foot again and found the net.

Hadley made a number of quality stops in the second half, keeping the score from being even more lopsided.