HomeSportsTrojans and Bighorns prepare to kick-off for charity

Trojans and Bighorns prepare to kick-off for charity

Annual charity soccer game starts Oct. 17

gazette_logo

The Residence Charity Kick- Off is returning for its eighth year on Oct. 17, and rival residences are preparing to face each other for a good cause.

The game is divided between two teams: the Bighorns and the Trojans. The Bighorns consist of students in Risley Hall, Shirreff Hall, Eliza Ritchie Hall and LeMarchant Place. The Trojans represent residents from Howe Hall, Mini Residences O’Brien Hall and Gerard Hall.

Florian Goetz, one of the managers/coaches for the Trojan team, remembers his first time going to a kick-off game.

“In my first year at Dal I was a part of the Trojan crowd,” says Goetz. “The Trojans won and I remember how pumped everyone was. The atmosphere was amazing at Wickwire Field and in Howe Hall.”

With the game fast approaching, Goetz is hoping for the same excitement in the crowd as it was in his first year.

“The game day has been a little bit unlucky with cold weather in the last two years, and soccer isn’t the most popular sport to watch in Canada, but as long as we keep the game entertaining, students will sit through anything,” says Goetz.

This is one of three sporting events hosted by Dal’s residences throughout the year. It originated from the charity face-off, a hockey game hosted in March with the intention of raising money for the IWK Children’s Health Centre. There is also a tip-off that takes place in November.

“It’s an amazing opportunity to support a local charity with something I am very passionate for – soccer,” says Goetz.

Though the game is for charity, it doesn’t mean things don’t get chippy. Both Goetz and Robert Sanderson, one of the managers/ coaches for Bighorns, have confidence in their team’s ability to win.

“Everyone is doing great on the filed. We eat, sleep and live soccer,” says Sanderson. “I am really excited about the talent and commitment from the team this year. There is a great positive atmosphere on the filed so we are doing great and ready to score some points for Bighorns.”

“I really like the group that we have this year,” says Goetz. “The players on the team have been playing soccer for many years. As the coaches and players, we are making sure that the Trojans are going to win the kick-off, and make the game exciting to watch.”

The game is not limited strictly to those in residence. Off campus students are welcome to attend in an effort to raise money for the IWK. Last year, the event raised $2,500.