Saturday, May 25, 2024
HomeSportsSoccerWallace starting strong with the Tigers

Wallace starting strong with the Tigers

Arfa Ayub, Sports Contributor

The Dalhousie Tigers women’s soccer team played their first game of the 2010 season on Saturday, Sept.  11. Ten of the 11 starters on the team are returning for another year with the team, which dramatically increases the competition for playing time amongst the rookies.

The expectations are high this season for the 5’9” rookie midfielder Daphne Wallace. “They are high, I hope we go all the way to the Canadian Inter-university Sport (CIS) and take it all the way,” says Wallace.

Wallace is originally from Ottawa, Ontario. “I have a cottage in the Maritimes so I have always really liked it here in Nova Scotia, and when I came here to visit in November I really liked the school.”

Wallace is taking a Bachelor of Science degree. She doesn’t know what she will major in yet, but it will “probably be something like Biology.”

She has been playing soccer for almost all of her life. “Ever since I was little” says Wallace. One of her strengths is being able to see the whole field well. She is also an incredible passer, connecting her passes with the strikers so that they are able take good shots at the net.

When asked about her weaknesses, Wallace says “It would probably be holding off the ball. I need to get a little bit stronger on the ball.”

Her favourite professional team is Real Madrid because she loves their style of play.

Rookie Midfielder Daphne Wallace Photo: Abram Gutscher