Sunday, April 28, 2024
HomeWeekly ColumnWarrdrobe ConversationsPutting 902 on the fashion map

Putting 902 on the fashion map

Designer and founder of Custom Build 902 talks about his journey

Standing at six foot four, 21-year-old Dylan Purchase has carved out a niche for himself in the emerging Halifax fashion scene. 

“I didn’t want to be another fish in the fishbowl,” says Purchase, talking about his take on fashion and the creative process he goes through when designing a collection or putting together an outfit.

For Purchase, receiving pictures and videos of people on the streets of Halifax wearing his designs is one of the most fulfilling parts of what he does. A self-taught designer, Purchase dropped out of high school because the hands-off structure of the education system did not suit him.

Custom Build 902

Custom Build 902 launched on social media in December 2021, with the goal of making pieces that are both fashion-forward and affordable. 

“Including our area code, 902, was my goal with the company name,” Purchase says. 

Purchase’s company saw a site-wide sellout of their Halifax collection. This collection was featured on Halifax Noise, which contributed to its sellout in a week, selling over 50 pieces of a single design.

“Creating a local brand that eventually can go worldwide or nationwide is my goal,” says Purchase. 

His designs have been inspired by the Halifax Metro Centre, McKay and MacDonald Bridges, the Clock Tower and the New World Trade Centre. With influences for T-shirts including Grateful Dead and Harley Davidson shirts, the sky is the limit for Custom Build 902.

Purchase’s beginnings

At 16, Purchase started working for a local landscaping company. 

“Doing hard manual labour is how I learn, I’ve learned more there than I had in my whole schooling. Doing hands-on activities is how I learn best,” says Purchase. 

The schooling system, with its rigid structure and formatted rules, could not box-in a creative like Purchase.

“I’m impulsive, what I do is impulsive. When I have an idea, I have to stop right away and do it… I had a hard time paying attention to the main topic at hand because I was too busy focusing on something else that had caught my attention,” Purchase says. 

It was hockey that saved him through school. It gave him a sense of purpose, while also giving him a community. Purchase’s hockey teammates fostered a work ethic, a sense of leadership and a sense of purpose in him.

With over 92 hours of tattoo covering his body, Purchase got his first tattoo in grade 11 and it has been a journey from then onwards. Using his body as a canvas to tell his story, Purchase has tattoos dedicated to his grandfather, sister and mother. Purchase points to a tattoo on his forearm that is dedicated to his mother who he credits as his biggest supporter.

He credits his mother for being the guiding force behind everything he does and is determined to make his supportive family proud. 

Goals and values of the company

During the pandemic, Purchase began selling T-shirts made with material from Michaels, and subsequently invested in a direct to garment printer. Although his brand has come a long way from there, he still has some of the first shirts he printed to remind himself of how far he’s come. 

Size diversity is important to Purchase, whose brand carries sizes small to double XL.  His 2025 goals include finding manufacturers that can help him fully reach his goal of including more size options. 

His brand also partners with The House of Soli, an international modelling agency based out of Halifax.

“I ensure that there is a diverse set of models for each collection to reflect the diverse population of Halifax,” Purchase says. 

Purchase has goals to expand Custom Build 902 to be sold at more establishments. 

For now,  you can shop his collection on their website, or buy it at Munchies Convenience. 

“I do not have a high school diploma, but I do have a creative mind,” says Purchase. With goals to pursue a degree at NSCAD to hone his skills, the world is his oyster. 

I hope his creative mind keeps creating and we will be blessed with more drops soon. Before heading home for summer break, make sure to check out his collection and rep your university town, whether you go home or are around Halifax.