HomeNewsDalhousieDFA strike update

DFA strike update

Class photo by Calum Agnew.
Class photo by Calum Agnew.

The Dalhousie Faculty Association has called faculty to a strike vote next week, making a strike a more distinct possibility.

The Gazette received a leaked copy of a letter dated Feb. 6 written by Anthony Stewart, president of the DFA, and addressed to faculty members. The letter is password-protected on the DFA website and available only to members.

Stewart wrote that he had received a report by the executive committee from the DFA’s chief negotiator that morning and at that point, “the Board’s team is showing no serious interest in concluding a collective agreement.”

As a result of this, the executive committee will be calling all members out for a strike vote Feb. 14, 15 and 16 to show support for their positions and negotiating team.

The call to vote does not indicate that the DFA will be going on strike. The results of that vote will indicate whether, if conciliation fails, faculty members are willing to strike.

The last conciliation meeting will be on Feb. 15 and the DFA would not be able to strike until the conciliation process is over. More information on the process is available here.

There will be a general meeting Feb. 13 for all DFA bargaining unit members to hear the report of the DFA chief negotiator.

Katrina Pyne
Katrina Pyne
Katrina was Editor-in-chief of the Gazette for Volume 145 and News Editor for Volume 144.