Thursday, May 16, 2024
HomeArts & CultureFlicks Review: Let Me In

Flicks Review: Let Me In

By Eva Garber, Arts Contributor

When I saw on the roster for the Atlantic Film Festival that an American adaptation of the Swedish vampire film Let The Right One In would be screened at midnight on Friday, I felt the need to give it a chance. I was skeptical because the new version was directed by Matt Reeves, who did Cloverfield in 2008. Needless to say, I anticipated cheesy graphics and plot variations that would appeal to a less discerning audience.

The film takes place in early 1980s New Mexico. In the opening scene, an ambulance races through a desert with lights flashing, sirens blaring and an ominous score in the background.  This sets the tone for the rest of the film and it was at this point I decided to raise my knees to my chin for the purpose of hiding my face when necessary.

This film displays a friendship between two social outcasts, Owen, the class scapegoat and Abby, the strange girl who moves into Owen’s apartment building. We can tell very early on that Abby isn’t “human” so to speak. She doesn’t wear shoes in the bitter cold of winter; she has unnatural pale grey skin and tells Owen that they can’t be friends during their first encounter. With time, the pair form an unlikely friendship that is non-judgmental and protective.

I often describe this film as a more profound, juvenile version of Twilight, however it might be unfair to make that equation. I found Let Me In to leave a lasting impressing, the same way its Swedish predecessor did. Despite the blood and gore, it is incredibly beautiful.

I remain a loyal fan of Swedish version but I think Reeves managed to interpret and project the film fairly accurately. I preferred the Swedish version mostly for its authenticity, whereas Reeves incorporated his computerized graphics, which really took away from the indie, low fidelity feel.

I would recommend this film to anyone who likes the concept but can’t read subtitles. Otherwise, just got for the original.