Monday, May 13, 2024
HomeArts & CultureThe Light Brights turn up the heat

The Light Brights turn up the heat

By Tristan Kay, Arts Contributor

It seems like Haligonians have a thing for making music on their own. One can’t walk a city block without seeing a poster for an up and coming band’s debut or CD release. On Sept. 30,  the indie-pop-rock group The Light Brights had their CD release party at The Paragon. The event was the celebration of the culmination of a great deal of hard work.

Members Chad Harrington, Bethany Fulde, and Andrew Dehms met back in college. As the musicians started performing together, their chemistry allowed them to grow into The Light Brights. Harrington is the band’s bassist and on occasion provides back-up vocals. These back-up vocals supplement the lead singing of Fulde, who also plays the electric/acoustic guitar. All of this is complimented by the drumming of Dahms. Until September, the trio had only produced a small EP, but, “We don’t talk about that,” joked Harrington. On September 7th the band released their first album: *The World’s A Changin’*.

The nine-track album was the result of months of hard work. The challenge though, was not in writing the songs, but perfecting them. “It wasn’t hard in the sense of writing the songs; that part came pretty easy,” said Fulde. “We worked really well together and meshed really well. In the sense of the amount of time it took, there were countless hours of just listening and re-recording certain pieces over and over again.”

The end result is a brilliant commentary on everyday life. The album touches on multiple social issues and how everyone deals with them in their lives.

“It kind of goes between two different themes; between world change and anti-corporate. It touches on the environment, but then has heartache as well,” says Fulde. “The whole thing is the struggles of the positives and negatives of all of those things,” adds Harrington

Now that the recording part is done, the group has only one goal, to “promote the hell out of the album!” Over the last few weeks they have been on countless interviews from newspapers to radio stations trying to get the word out about their new CD.

In good spirits at the Paragon, excited for the show to come, the band sat and enjoyed the performances by maritime bands The Caravan and Weak Size Fish. Glad to be back to performing, drummer Dahms reminisced about, “making a chair out of all the gear in the back of the van on the way to a gig.” Sharing a beer with the band, it was all smiles and relaxation; that was until just after midnight, when the game faces came on.

The group took to the stage and began what can only be described as a flawless performance. From song to song, they performed like true rock stars, captivating the audience in bar. The band had to be up early the next morning to make their way on the road again to perform in Fredericton the following evening. One thing is for sure: as cliché as it is, the future is certainly bright for The Light Brights.