Wednesday, May 1, 2024
HomeArts & CultureSweet Hereafter satisfies the sweet tooth

Sweet Hereafter satisfies the sweet tooth

Sweet Hereafter Cheesecakery. Photo by Alice Hebb
It's all about the creaminess. Photo by Alice Hebb

Specialty cheesecake shop opens on Quinpool 

Colin MacDougall’s dream came true on Sept. 16.

After managing restaurants for 12 years, MacDougall opened his own shop: Sweet Hereafter Cheesecakery, located on Quinpool Road.

“I’ve been making cheesecakes at home for some time, experimenting with different flavours,” says MacDougall. “There’s so much you can do.”

Sweet Hereafter is decorated beautifully. The colours include vivid purples, reds, gold, white and black, which create an overall classic look.

The restaurant can seat 24 people and would be ideal for groups.

“We wanted to go with something that is different and memorable,” says MacDougall. “We want you to enjoy a rich, elegant cheesecake, and to have any decor that didn’t match, that would kind of be a disservice.”

The display case holds six different mouth-watering varieties: chocolate peanut butter, triple chocolate, apple pecan, chocolate vanilla, chocolate amaretto, and fresh mango with raspberry coulis.

MacDougall says he makes 15-20 different kinds of cheesecake that are offered on a rotating basis. All of the cheesecakes are New York-style, so they are baked with crusts. MacDougall makes everything from chocolate, to shortcake, to ginger, to graham crusts. Basically, he jokes, “If there is a good cookie, I can make it into a crust.”

He also has some specialty seasonal cakes.“I have a couple different pumpkin ones. When you’re coming into fall, you’re looking at those rich, fall flavours,” he says, “When we start getting back into the spring, you start getting those fresh lemon and lime flavours.”

MacDougall’s personal favourite is the fresh mango and the white chocolate raspberry, but, he adds, “the ‘cookies & cream’ is probably my bestseller.”

MacDougall says a good cheesecake is in the creaminess of it. “I don’t like a dry crumbing cheesecake,” he says. “I like to see creativity, fun and creaminess.”

It looks like Sweet Hereafter can offer all three of these to the city of Halifax.

When you get a craving for something sweet, Sweet Hereafter can be found at 6148 Quinpool Rd., open from 12 noon to 10 p m on Monday through Saturday.