News Briefs

Gazette LogoEcolympics at Dal

For Dalhousie’s residence students, the next few weeks will be a little more competitive than usual. The Ecolympics are two weeks of residence-based activities and events to try to get students to reduce consumption and waste.

The events will be going on from March 20-31, and culminate on Earth Hour Day with different celebrations in Howe Hall, Sheriff Hall and Gerard Hall.

Other activities include campus flashlight tag on March 28 and a group trip to the Halifax Seaport Market on March 31.

This is the fourth year the Ecolympics have been running. Howe Hall, last year’s winners, and Gerard Hall, winning in 2010, will be fighting to win back the title.

Honorary degrees

The University of King’s College has announced the recipients of three honorary degrees this year, which will be awarded at the Encaenia graduation ceremony in May.

Elizabeth Fountain, one of the founders of the Alex Fountain Memorial Lecture at King’s and a well-known philanthropist, will be receiving an honorary doctor of canon law.

Lewis Lapham, journalist, former editor of Harper’s Magazine and current editor of Lapham’s Quarterly, will be receiving an honorary doctor of civil law. The Right Reverend Ron Cutler, an Anglican bishop, will receive an honorary doctor of divinity.

The Encaenia ceremony will take place May 17 at the Cathedral Church of All Saints in Halifax.

Torey Ellis
Torey Ellis
Torey was the Copy Editor of the Gazette for Volume 145 and Assistant News Editor for Volume 144.