HomeSportsBen’s Ten: Magnificent Mascots

Ben’s Ten: Magnificent Mascots

Our mascot (photo by Chris Parent
“Our” mascot (photo by Chris Parent)

We recently lost a local politician. No matter whether or not you agreed with his views, we can all admit one thing: Tuxedo Stan was a cat, and he made politics fun.

On a somewhat related note, now that I’m the Gazette’s sports editor, and presumably a real journalist, I’ve decided I should focus on more serious, hard-hitting topics.

Of course, I’m talking about mascots. Everyone loves those cuddly costumed characters that engage in hilarious hijinks and help cheer your team on. So to kick off this year’s column, here are ten magnificent mascots you should keep an eye out for.

Honourable Mention: The Dal Tiger: Have to show some (somewhat contrived) school spirit. Give us a call; we’d love to interview you sometime.

10. Klement’s Racing Sausages, Milwaukee Brewers: The team does have an official mascot (and a cool slide!), but these five frankfurters make the middle of the sixth inning the best part of Brewers baseball.

9. SJ Sharkie, San Jose Sharks: Our fishy friend once got stuck rappelling from the rafters at the Sharks’ rink. That would never happen at Memorial Arena, because it no longer exists.

8. 2010 Vancouver Olympics Mascots: I liked the big, fluffy one most of all. What was his name? Heck, does anyone remember any of their names?

7. Wild Wing, Anaheim Ducks: The first of two ducks on this list. It would be cooler if the formerly “Mighty” Ducks used Emilio Estevez as their mascot. He needs the work.

6. Uga IX, University of Georgia: Yes he’s a real live bulldog, but before all of the animal rights groups come out of the woodwork, please know that they treat this dog better than most schools treat their students.

5. Youppi, Montreal Expos and Canadiens: A cross between Elmo and the lead singer of Jethro Tull, this resourceful mascot found work in the NHL even after les Expos said au revoir to Montreal.

4. The San Diego Chicken, San Diego Padres: He was a human-sized chicken who wreaked havoc in the 70s and 80s. What’s not to love?

3. Inflatable Raptor, Toronto Raptors: Gets the nod over his non-inflatable counterpart because he has been known to swallow fans and referees whole.

2. Puddles, University of Oregon: Looks like Donald, acts like Goofy, loved like Mickey. Well done, my good mallard.  

1. Phillie Phanatic, Philadelphia Phillies: The most phreaking phantastic mascot by phar.

Benjamin Blum
Benjamin Blum
A lifelong sports fan, Benjamin Blum entered the world of journalism after suffering a concussion playing rugby for the University of King’s College. From that moment, his twin passions for writing and sports motivated the Thornhill, Ont. native to give this journalism thing a try. Having been an athlete, coach and fan for many years, Ben brings his diverse knowledge of sports along with a witty sense of humour to the sports section. Ben was Sports Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146.