HomeSportsHockeyFrost Week fans disappointed by men's hockey

Frost Week fans disappointed by men’s hockey

Brendon MacDonald tries to get a shot past St Thomas goalie, Charles Lavigne. Photo by Martina Marien

Men’s hockey managed to disappoint fans yet again, this time in front of Frost Week supporters Jan. 7. Poor defensive strategy left fans in angst as they sauntered toward the exit near the middle of the third—the embarrassment too much for the slightly inebriated Frost Week fans to take.

The University of Moncton outplayed the Tigers to the tune of a 5 – 1 victory at Memorial Arena. While Dalhousie outshot Moncton 32 – 23, the other statistical columns shed light on the goal margin.

The defeat puts an end to the 3-12-1 Tigers’ short-lived winning streak. Dal ended their 11-game losing skid the evening before with a 1 – 0 triumph against St. Thomas. Moncton is third place in the AUS after the win.

Their inability to produce on the power play was the story for the unsuccessful Tigers. Not only did their power play fail to contribute, but they also allowed the game’s first goal. Aigles Bleus forward Francis Rochon streaked up the left wing and cut across unchallenged, sliding the puck through the five-hole for the shorthanded tally seven minutes into the first period. The star forward would later go on to further embarrass Dal defenders and goaltender Bobby Nadeau with two more skillful goals.

In only 18 shots the Aigles Bleus totalled five goals; the two other goals were provided by Eric Faille and Dean Ouellet. Nadeau’s save percentage after the game rested at a paltry 0.722.

The lack of discipline by both teams contributed to a lot of time on the man advantage. This was not to either team’s favour, however, as each squad had an impotent power play. Dal was 0-for-4 on the power play with 22 penalty minutes, while Moncton was 0-for-3 and combined for 34 penalty minutes.

Dal’s lone marker came from forward Patrick Daley 1:37 into the third period to close the deficit to 2 – 1. Daley, after missing several excellent opportunities involving wide-open nets, managed to put one behind Andre-Michel Guay. Daley played with moments of intensity and hunger, but one player can’t do everything. Moncton would later go on to score three more goals to end the match.

The outplayed Tigers certainly deserve praise for their aggressive spirit. The physical style of play suited the Tigers early, but they failed to adapt when Moncton began scoring. Often Dal’s excessive physical play would draw defenders from position, leading to numerous scoring opportunities for the opposition. David MacDonald was guilty on several occasions.

After a season that has not gone according to plan, it can only be hoped Dal’s deconstruction of Memorial Arena at the end of the season is not metaphoric for the school’s struggling hockey program.

Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Hailing from Saint John, Andrew followed his frosh leader to a Gazette contributor's meeting in his first week at Dalhousie and didn't look back. He took on the women's soccer beat, attending games at Wickwire no matter the weather and watching the webcast whenever the Tigers were on a different pitch. He does not claim any responsibility for the Tigers winning the league championship during his first season covering the team.