HomeSportsHockeyOnline Exclusive: Refreshed Dal takes exhibition bout

Online Exclusive: Refreshed Dal takes exhibition bout

Men’s hockey upends UPEI in overtime

The Tigers had reason to celebrate Jan. 3. Photo by Rob Grandy.

The Dalhousie Tigers men’s hockey team got off to a good start in the second half of their  season after a six-week holiday break.

Despite a controversial non-call with about five minutes left in regulation, the Tigers held on to claim a 5 – 4 victory courtesy of an overtime goal from Benjamin Breault in an exhibition matchup against the University of Prince Edward Island Jan. 3 at Memorial Arena.

With the game tied at four apiece, much to the displeasure of the Tigers, Dal’s Shea Kewin was handed a goaltender interference penalty after skating straight into UPEI Panthers goalie Jhase Sniderman. Sniderman retaliated with punches to Kewin’s head, pummelling the forward to the ground.

Dal captain David MacDonald said he had some choice words for the referee.

“It was garbage,” he said. “I thought it was a bad call and I let him know how I felt. It should have gone both ways, but that’s the game. He’s the ref, and he made the decision.”

Nonetheless, it was the Tigers’ first victory since Oct. 21 in which they defeated St. Thomas. Dal goaltender Bobby Nadeau also played his first game back from a groin injury he suffered in mid-October.

“It was a character win,” said Nadeau. “It shows that if we stay disciplined, avoid taking penalties and play within the game plan, good things will happen.

Jumping on an early 2 – 0 lead to start the game, the Tigers allowed three consecutive goals in the second. A neutral zone giveaway gave Jared Gomes a clear breakaway for the first tally, capitalizing on a a snap shot high glove side to make the score 2 – 1.

Two goals less than five minutes apart in the second frame gave the Panthers a 3 – 2 advantage. This lead change did not phase the Tigers which responded with a goal of their own by forward Jordan Villeneuve-Gagne after he jumped on his own rebound.

The third period saw both teams add a goal, notching things up at four. Breault went on to score the eventual overtime winner for Dal

Although the exhibition victory does not count toward CIS standings, it shows this hockey squad is capable of battling against any team in the league when they give a strong enough effort, said MacDonald.

“The way we worked and battled back tonight was huge,” he said. “If we can keep going  down that road it will definitely help us.”

A dismal 2-11-1 record for the Tigers after the first half of the season resulted in a reshuffling of duties in mid-December proposed by Pete Belliveau. The former head coach chose to begin focusing primarily on general manager responsibilities and assistant Chris Donnelly has been promoted to head coach.

Donnelly said he expects his team to improve their play in the new year, and focus on winning games.

“Every guy on the team has got a job to do, and they have got to come ready to do it,” he said. “When we have everybody doing their job we are going to be a pretty tough team to play against.”

Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Originally from Lahore, Pakistan, Arfa moved to Canada at the age of nine. She spent a year in Toronto before moving to Halifax. In the East Coast, not sure how (must be a Canadian thing!), but she began to watch and love hockey. Arfa started writing for the Gazette in her last year of high school as part of a cooperative education internship. Once she graduated, she came to Dal to study Political Science. Aside from continuing to write for the paper, Arfa completed an internship with Global Maritimes.