Thursday, May 9, 2024
HomeSportsSoccerTigers cruise to two victories

Tigers cruise to two victories

Dal locked with SMU for second place

Women's Soccer wins 1-0 against St. FX. Photo by Alice Hebb

AUS play resumed after the Thanksgiving break Saturday, Oct. 15 for the Dalhousie Tigers as they played host to the St. FX X-Women. With both teams contending for playoff positioning, the win was important for both sides, but it was the Tigers who walked away with the three points. Dal took the 1 – 0 victory.

The season-long theme of extreme weather at Wickwire continued this past weekend with high winds on hand. Starting with the gust in their favour, Dal contained the majority of play in the opposition’s offensive zone for the first half. Most notably, the Tigers opened with a long shot from midfield, nearly bouncing the ball over the head of the X keeper.

Although the first half had many strong opportunities, the net was not found until early in the second. Rieka Santilli carried the ball in for the Tigers and placed a light shot to the back of the net for her fifth goal of the season. The Tigers created several other scoring chances in the second, but only Santilli managed to score.

St. FX would later attempt to counter with an offensive push of their own but with no luck. At Dal’s end of the pitch, Taryn McKenna was solid, stopping everything the strong wind allowed to reach her net.

Generally a physical style of play exists in women’s games, but hardly to such an extent as was on display in this match. The rough play resulted in a yellow card for both sides: Jenna Gabriel for Dal and Nicole MacNeil for X.

The Tigers headed to Wolfville the day after to play Acadia, and disappointingly for the winless Axemen they would remain without a victory. The Tigers potted markers from Pamela Krieg and Doriana Homerski within a matter of minutes midway through the first half to take the 2 – 0 triumph.

The two weekend victories give Dal a 7 – 2 standing on the season. Acadia is 0 – 5 – 3.

Looking ahead, the last four games of the season are of extreme importance for Dal as the fight for playoff spots continues. The Tigers play Saint Mary’s twice, Memorial once and Acadia once further.

While the games against Memorial and Acadia should be easy victories, SMU might be a bigger challenge. Although the cross-town schools will very likely make the playoffs, both are aiming for a bye to the semifinals. The playoff race will only add to the spirited competition between the two rivals when they meet for the first time this season Friday, Oct. 21 at Wickwire during homecoming weekend. Later, the Sea-Hawks are in town Sunday, Oct. 23 for a 1 p.m. match.

Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Hailing from Saint John, Andrew followed his frosh leader to a Gazette contributor's meeting in his first week at Dalhousie and didn't look back. He took on the women's soccer beat, attending games at Wickwire no matter the weather and watching the webcast whenever the Tigers were on a different pitch. He does not claim any responsibility for the Tigers winning the league championship during his first season covering the team.