Monday, May 13, 2024
HomeSportsSoccerWomen’s Seahawks shut out by Tigers

Women’s Seahawks shut out by Tigers

They needed time, but eventually the Dalhousie Tigers women’s soccer team broke through the Memorial Seahawks last Friday to take the game at Wickwire Field 1-0. Katie Richard won the game in second half stoppage time. Tigers’ coach Jack Hutchison still isn’t happy with his team, though.

“We’re still not gelling,” says Hutchison. “We’re not doing some simple things well.”

It wasn’t an exhibition of great soccer. Neither team looked comfortable, especially in defence. A rain-slicked turf field didn’t help, either. Both teams made huge defensive errors all afternoon.

For Memorial, a lot of those errors originated with striker Laura Breen, who was playing out of position in central defence. Her marking was poor and she consistently let Richard and Kate MacDonald in behind her. Malorie Harris also became a liability in her own box, consistently misplaying clearances or obstructing her goalkeeper’s view of shots.

Dalhousie also had defensive problems. Stephanie Crewe looked lost for much of the game, a symptom on display early on when she nearly impeded goalkeeper Heather Armstrong as she tried to claim a ball. It wasn’t just rookie mistakes, though; even steady centre back Amanda Henry had a rough game, struggling to deal with Victoria Thistle.

The Tigers picked it up in the second half, and began to force more mistakes out of Memorial. Breen headed a Tiger cross off her own crossbar after ‘keeper Keira Eavis was left out of position.
Appropriately, the winning goal was a comedy of errors from everyone involved. In second half injury time, right back Jamie Warren passed straight to Kate MacDonald who was really too far wide to shoot.

With pretty much the last chance of the game, she decided to shoot anyway, and Eavis made what looked to be an easy save before she dropped the ball straight onto Richard’s foot. Richard couldn’t take a clean shot, but did manage to bundle the ball into the net for the winning goal.

Unofficial Stats:
Goals: Dal-1; MUN-0
Shots: Dal-6; MUN-4
Attempts: Dal-11; MUN-6
Fouls: Dal-10; MUN-10
Cautions: Dal-0; MUN-1 (36’ Dawe)
Ejections: Dal-0; MUN-0
Corners: Dal-7; MUN-3
Offsides: Dal-1; MUN-0

Dylan Matthias
Dylan Matthias
Dylan served as Editor-in-chief of the Gazette for Volume 144. He was the Sports Editor for Volume 143.