HomeSportsSoccerBen Ur: Men’s keeper a Chelsea fan

Ben Ur: Men’s keeper a Chelsea fan

Arfa Ayub, Sports Contributor

For a guy who was “stuck” in nets because he was not good at playing striker, Ben Ur has sure made things work out in his favour.

“That’s probably the best way to explain it,” said Ur, goalkeeper of the Dalhousie Tigers men’s soccer team.

In 2008, Ur led his team to the Atlantic University Sport (AUS) championship. He hopes to repeat that feat once again this season.

“We have been pretty good so far. It’s a bit early in the season. I would say we have stuff that we can improve on but we are a very good team in the middle and it looks promising,” he says. In 2008 Ur was named to the AUS second all star team.

Ur is from Halifax but his parents are from England, where soccer is as big as hockey in Canada.

“It’s kind of bred into me, I guess. It’s one of those things where I got brought into it at a very young age and just played it ever since.”

He has been playing soccer for 12 years. But “football,” as they call it in England, isn’t his only sport.

“I love hockey. Big hockey fan. Grew up playing that as well,” he says.

His favourite NHL team are the Colorado Avalanche because growing up he was a big fan of Ray Bourque. As for soccer, Ur’s favourite soccer team is Chelsea because “my parents are from that area, and it’s the team I grew up cheering for.”

Currently, Ur is in his fourth year of play with the Tigers. He is majoring in arts. Ur’s favourite memory as a Tiger is “winning the AUS championship two years ago. That’s definitely up there.”