HomeUncategorizedTigers keep Axewomen winless

Tigers keep Axewomen winless

Santilli with sole tally in Dal win

Tigers play on through the rain. Photo by Martina Marien.

In the last game of the regular season Dalhousie hosted the winless Acadia Axewomen. After playing 90 long minutes in cold winds and heavy rain, the Tigers took the final game of the season 1 – 0.

Dal ends the season in third place with 28 points and a 9-3-1 record. UPEI and Saint Mary’s clinched a first round bye, finishing in first and second respectively in the AUS.

A scoreless first half was the result of passive play, a staple of Dal’s recent games. The Tigers offence have been much less potent of late, taking a backseat in dictating play.

Rieka Santilli scored the only goal midway through the second half, breaking through the defence and placing a strong shot over the Acadia keeper. The Tigers almost scored on several other opportunities but nothing amounted.

The Tigers will travel to Fredericton for the AUS championships next weekend where they will play the host UNB Varsity Reds in the quarterfinals. The only time the two teams met this season ended in a 4 – 0 Dal win.

For an extended recap of the game, check the Nov. 4 edition of the Dalhousie Gazette.

Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Hailing from Saint John, Andrew followed his frosh leader to a Gazette contributor's meeting in his first week at Dalhousie and didn't look back. He took on the women's soccer beat, attending games at Wickwire no matter the weather and watching the webcast whenever the Tigers were on a different pitch. He does not claim any responsibility for the Tigers winning the league championship during his first season covering the team.