HomeSportsSoccerWomen’s soccer move up with win

Women’s soccer move up with win

By Arfa Ayub, Sports Contributor

The Dalhousie Tigers women’s soccer team came out with a close 2–1 victory against Saint Mary’s last Wednesday. Although the Tigers came away with the win, Jack Hutchison, head coach of the Tigers was not happy with his team’s effort.

“Mid-week game, lack lustre. Not enough sense of energy. We had a lot of things on our mind this week, I didn’t think the girls stepped up. They didn’t step up and play 90 minutes like I know they can, they did in moments of the second half and they pulled another one out. Not really what I like to see,” said Hutchison.

In the first couple minutes of the game the Tigers controlled the ball but were unable to get anything going deep inside the Huskies end. In the 7th minute, rookie midfielder Daphne Wallace managed to find open space with a lot of room to shoot and shot the ball with a strong finish to make the

score 1–0. SMU then responded with a great

chance by midfielder Sophie Langille- Broderick on a header right after a corner kick attempt. The header missed and the score remained 1–0.

SMU wasn’t done just yet. A sprint by Heidi Pentz created yet another great chance but a great lunging save from Dalhousie’s goalkeeper Taryn McKenna kept the lead intact.

With the Huskies starting to look confident the Tigers began to falter. As the game went on, Jeanette Huck, Dalhousie’s co-captain took it upon herself to bring her team back into the game, which led to some frustration on Huck’s part as every time she got near the ball she had two or three Huskies on her tail. She could not seem to find any open space.

The Huskies scored their goal in the 17th minute. Heidi Pentz banged home the first goal the Tigers have allowed all season long.

In the second half, Huck’s frustration finally caught up to her as she was given

a yellow card after she argued with the referee on a foul call.

As the game pace picked up so did the intense rivalry between the teams. In the 79th minute Stephanie Holland threw a backhand punch at Dalhousie’s Katie Richard, which made contact. Both players were given yellow cards.

“That definitely shouldn’t be on the field. Sometimes in the heat of the moment stuff happens but she should have been off the field for sure. If you swing you should be off the field,” said Huck in regards to the incident.

Just when things were starting to look bad for the Tigers, Huck found open space and shot the ball into the back of the net, to give the Tigers a much needed 2-1 victory.

“It was definitely an emotional game for me,” said Huck.” I definitely was frustrated but I took some deep breaths and started to get my head into it and then when I got the opportunity I kicked the ball as hard as I could and it felt so good going in, it made everything more calm and relaxing for sure.”