HomeNewsDalhousieAll aboard the King’s Express

All aboard the King’s Express

The King’s Express will be leaving Halifax April 16. Photo by Adele van Wyk

Students from the University of King’s College who are heading home for the summer have the opportunity to travel to Montreal for $99 through Via Rail Canada. But not everyone thinks it’s a great idea.

It’s part of an initiative at King’s to promote sustainability. On April 16, the train will be leaving Halifax at noon and arriving in Montreal the following morning. Students must book their ticket by March 11.

Emma Norton, the sustainability officer at King’s, recently proposed the elaborate plan to Via Rail, with the help of the Sustainability King’s group.

“Students can travel with Via Rail more cost effectively,” Norton says. “It’s also reducing your carbon emissions by 92 per cent over flying.”

There are 48 seats available, and the hope is that King’s students, staff and faculty will fill one car. Only 20 students need to sign up for the $60 discount to still be available.

Staff and faculty are also being offered a 10 per cent discount on train travel at any time over the next two years.

Norton says she hopes the project will continue in future years.

“It would be even more of a success, though, if people use the train beyond April,” she says. “If they use it as a regular mode of transportation, instead of taking a plane—that  would be great.”

Sarah Kraus, a past sustainability officer of King’s and fourth-year student, worries about the success of the project.

“I don’t know how many students at King’s care enough about sustainability to take the train as opposed to flying,” she says.

Kraus, originally from Alberta, says it would not be logistically possible for her. “For an extra $50, I could fly. And I know it’s not good for the environment, but if I have to get home, I have to get home.”

On the other hand, Kraus says she is impressed by the idea behind the agreement.

“It’s just a great idea for sustainable living and it’s something different that Emma is trying,” she says.

Daniel Brown, a King’s student who serves on the Board of Governors, hopes the agreement with Via Rail will allow students to branch out and connect with staff and professors as well.

Although drinks are served onboard, Brown says the King’s Express isn’t a party train.

“This is going to be something where everybody can have a lovely social time and get to know each other. It will strengthen the community.”

Brown and Norton note that Via Rail was willing to participate in the project.

“They were very open,” Brown says. “They were a little bit surprised because it was an unsolicited proposal, but from the get-go they have been very excited to work with us.”

Anne Marie Martin, the representative from Via Rail who organized the deal, says the offer is unusual.

“We don’t do a lot of this sort of thing,” she says. “I don’t know if it’ll be a success or not.”

Martin can think of a few reasons why students might not want to take the deal—the cost, the date being inconvenient, or just not reaching enough people.

“It’s $99, which I don’t think is a lot, but coming out of a student’s pocket it might be,” she says. “And for the first year it is always a little harder to get people.”

Kraus was concerned about the communication side of the project, after a fellow student contacted Via Rail about the agreement and learned they were unaware of any such deal.

Brown says the project was announced to student union council before negotiations had concluded.

The King’s Express will also lend itself to the pre-existing Harry Potter vibe at King’s. Brown says they hope traveling by train will be a different, “magical” experience.

“I should mention that there will be some sort of send-off,” he adds. “A very fun, theatrical one. We’re hoping for bagpipes, the Dean and full regalia.”

“And robes,” says Norton. “It will be a proper King’s exit.”

Written with files from Torey Ellis.