HomeArts & CultureGetting oriented with Halifax

Getting oriented with Halifax

One of the great conveniences of Dalhousie, and Halifax in general, is that it’s easy to get around.

Mic Mac Mall is only a bus ride away, but if you want to enjoy the weather before winter hits, here are a few walkable places near campus.

IF YOU LIKE BOOKS:

• Halifax Central Library, which opened last year, is fifteen minutes from Carleton Campus on Spring Garden Rd. and even closer to Sexton Campus. With five glass floors, it’s kind of hard to miss it.
  • Bookmark, also on Spring Garden, is an independent bookshop that features local authors.
  • Trident Bookseller and CafĂ© on Hollis St. has a nice selection of second-hand books.

IF YOU LIKE COFFEE:

• Just Us! CafĂ© is a co-op house-turned-coffee shop on Spring Garden that hosts many events throughout the year.
  • Humani-t CafĂ© on South Park Street has not only good coffee, but great gelato as well.
  • The Coburg Coffee Shop is an ideal place to study, being on Coburg St next to Studley Campus. It’s also a good place to wait for the bus, since it’s directly in front of the stop for the #1.
  • Choco Cafe, on the waterfront, has make-your-own-hot-chocolate and an ocean view. Can you really ask for more?
  • World Tea House on Argyle, across from the Neptune Theatre, has a great varieTEA of drinks.

IF YOU LIKE FOOD:

• Most restaurants can be found on Argyle Street, but Market Street and Grafton Street also have their fair share.
  • Quinpool Road has options ranging from Wendy’s to Greek to sushi.
  • While you can, take advantage of the fact the Waterfront’s food stalls are still open.

IF YOU LIKE SHOPPING:

• Spring Garden and Quinpool are the two best streets for shops.
  • It’s fun to browse the waterfront Farmer’s Market.
  • Again, take advantage of the fact that the waterfront is still open, especially if you want to buy local souvenirs or artwork!

IF YOU LIKE ART AND MUSEUMS:

• The Pier 21 Museum of Immigration displays Canada’s rich, multicultural history.
  • The Dalhousie Arts Centre is right next to the Weldon Law Building, and offers shows year-round, from concerts to operas and lectures.
  • The Museum of Natural History on Summer St. is a bit more hidden, but is still close to Dal and has great displays.

IF YOU LIKE WALKING AROUND:

• The Public Gardens are a nice break from the turmoil of the city, featuring paths, ponds and geese.
  • Point Pleasant Park is also nearby, and can be reached by either walking or taking the #9 bus.
  • The Commons are not only a good place to walk around, they offer roller blading during the summer and skating in winter.
  • Halifax has a number of historic properties, especially near Saint Mary’s University, which are always fun to look at.

This list does not even begin to mention larger events like the Atlantic Film Festival, Nocturne, the Halifax Pop Explosion, Halifax Burger Week and the multiple festivals and events the city hosts through the year.

Halifax may not be as large as Toronto, but there’s never a shortage of entertainment in the city.