Tuesday, July 16, 2024

News Briefs

Gazette Logo Dal prof joins President’s Circle

Dalhousie welcomed Dr. Karl Dilcher into the President’s Circle on Dec. 14, 2011. The President’s Circle is a group of donors who donate more than $100,000 to Dalhousie within their lifetime.

Dilcher, chair of the mathematics and statistics department at Dal, was astonished to be announced a new member of the Circle. Dilcher told DalNews that despite the fact that he is a mathematician, it never occurred to him that his donations had added up to such an amount.

Dilcher was among five others who became members of the President’s circle that evening.

The event drew more than 300 donors for refreshments and expressions of thanks from many of the leaders at Dal.

A “family-friendly” university

Dal was recently chosen as one of Canada’s Top Family-Friendly Employers for 2012, an award organized by the editors of Canada’s Top 100 Employers.

Award-winners are also qualified to win further recognition including the Top Family-Friendly Employer honour, says DalNews. This award acknowledges establishments that aid their employees in harmonizing both work and family commitments. 20 employers throughout Canada managed to make the list.

Among the reasons for Dal’s recognition are its counselling and support services available for families, and the health benefits package that employees receive.

Employers must apply to win this award, according to the Canada’s Top 100 Employers website. Any organization in either the public or private sector is eligible.