HomeNewsDal Votes 2015, Candidate Profile: Liam Hunt

Dal Votes 2015, Candidate Profile: Liam Hunt

Name: Liam Hunt

Age: 20

Hometown: Newmarket, ON

Program: Political Science and Philosophy

Nominated for: Senate

Relevant Experience: Works with Dalhousie Residence Council, two years as a Residence Assistant at Risley Hall

Liam Hunt

Dalhousie Gazette: Why are you running for a senate seat?

Liam Hunt: I’d like to adequately represent students. I’m dissatisfied with the current level of representation that we have at administration, at present we only have six students who sit on Senate out of an assembly of about 80 people. So I don’t think the interests of students can be adequately served under this current seat distribution. That’s one of my primary goals as a Senate rep, would be to hopefully achieve some sort of reform so that our representation doesn’t lag behind some neighbouring schools. I know McGill has 13 students on Senate, and some other schools in the [Nova Scotia] region, the student-to-faculty ratio on Senate is much higher.

DG: What role do you see Senate having in the upcoming year?

LH: First thing that comes to mind is allocating funds in the upcoming budget, but I know that’s not the direct responsibility of Senate. I imagine we are involved in an advisory role, if not, I would like to see advocacy for certain departments that I know are in need of more funds and attention from administration, and I’d like to see those needs get addressed.

DG: What policy experience do you have?

LH: I have experience enforcing policy as an RA.

DG: If you were on Senate this year, what issue would you bring to the table?

LH: Equitable representation of students. I think that Senate and the Board are due for a degree of reform. I don’t think that students’ interests can be adequately served under the current distribution of seats.

DG: What committees would you hope to serve on if elected, and why?

LH: I’d like to sit on the Planning and Governance Committee. Although I haven’t looked too deeply into the specifics of the committee, I would imagine if I’m going to achieve any sort of reform, it would be through that committee. As well, I’d like to sit on the Discipline Committee, because it piques my curiousity. I’d like to be involved in the hearings and be able to have a say in the outcome of some disciplinary actions that go on here at Dal.

Jesse Ward
Jesse Ward
Jesse, editor-in-chief of the Gazette, is a fifth-year student of journalism at Dalhousie and the University of King’s College. He started university with three years of experience writing for Teens Now Talk magazine, where he is now copy editor. Before writing a story Jesse likes to think about how his metal detector could finally be useful in researching this one, but there is never a way it could be. Jesse has produced writing and interactive features for Globalnews.ca and The Chronicle Herald. He may be followed on Twitter, @RealJesseWard, or from the Gazette office on Mondays around 8 p.m. to his home in West End Halifax. Email Jesse at editor@dalgazette.com.