HomeNewsNews Briefs: September 7, 2012

News Briefs: September 7, 2012

Fringe Festival is on

The 22nd annual Atlantic Fringe Festival, which commenced Sept. 2, is set to offer over 50 different acts during its 11 day run.

Shows range from comedies, such as Fucking Stephen Harper—journalist Rob Salerno’s intimate satire of Canadian politics, to award winning dramas like Balls—about testicular cancer.

In addition to first time performances, the festival this year features long running shows like Shakespeare On Trial, which took the stage in 2009, and Confessions of a Mormon Boy, which premiered almost ten years ago with an off-Broadway run in 2003.

Twelve venues throughout Halifax are hosting the festival, including Sir James Dunn Theatre at the Dalhousie Arts Centre. Ticket prices vary per show, from free admission up to $10.

Dal GIS Center wins Special Achievement Award

Dalhousie’s Geographical Information Sciences Center (or “GISciences Center”) has won an ESRI Inc. Special Achievement Award for its work with GIS technology.

Students at Dal interested in GIS, a system that integrates various types of geographical data such as statistics and cartography, can visit the center located on the second floor of the Killam Library. It is the largest library facility of its kind in the Canada.

The award, according to the website of the event sponsor, is given annually to organizations that “have used GIS to improve our world—and set new precedents throughout the GIS community.”

Operation Fall Back returns to campus

Halifax Regional Police launched Operation Fall Back Sept. 2, which targets noise, intoxication, and property damage in areas surrounding the University of King’s College and Dalhousie campuses.

The annual campaign, which was initiated in 2004, lasts through September and includes increased high-visibility patrols and enforcement in areas known to produce complaints.

Dal pays the cost of staffing two officers to patrol near the university during designated times of the year, such as back-to-school season, while Halifax Regional Police supply a cruiser.

Daniel Boltinsky
Daniel Boltinsky
Daniel currently serves as the Gazette's Copy Editor. He was the News Editor for Volume 145.