HomeSportsHockeyBritish Columbia win

British Columbia win

By Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor

Nic Petan’s game winning goal at 14:56 on the third period won British Columbia a gold in the 2011 Canada Winter Game’s men’s hockey tournament, by a score of 7 – 4 over Quebec. The game was a re-match of the opener, when Quebec won 4 – 3 in a shootout.

“It feels amazing,” said Petan. “There are no words to describe it. This is the best tournament in the world.”

Petan also had three assists in the game.

“We started this process nine months ago and just to get here, to finish it, to win it; it’s unbelievable,” added British Columbia forward Curtiz Lazar who had a hat-trick in the game. Lazar finishes the tournament as scoring leader, with 12 goals.

The atmosphere at the Metro Center was electric in front of a sell out crowd of about 8,000 screaming fans.

“It was unreal,” said Lazar. “The fans here in Halifax are crazy. I am never going forget this experience.”

British Columbia had an answer for everything that Quebec threw at them.

It was a back and forth first period with both teams looking shaky. Both teams scored on their first shots on goal. A weak wrist shot by Quebec’s Anthony De Luca got through the legs of British Columbia starting goalie Jackson Whistle. Just 44 seconds later, British Columbia forward Luke Bertolucci replied by beating Alexandre Belanger. A power-play goal by Lazar gave British Columbia a 2-1 lead.

The second period was an intense and physical, with both teams picking up the game pace. Philippe Venne made no mistake capitalizing on a wrist-shot three minutes in. British Columbia’s Sam Reinhart responded on a shot that came from just outside the left face-off circle. A goal by Cole Sanford put his team up by two.

“I think we were a little bit nervous because it was a big crowd and big finals,” said Quebec captain Jeremy Gregoire. “When we started playing we tied the game 4 – 4 so we came close but it was a great experience and I would do it over a million times if I could.”

Quebec’s Guillaume Gauthier goal at 12:10 in the third once again made it a one goal game. The start of the third saw Quebec start to take over the game but they were not able to capitalize. Simon Desbiens’ goal after a scramble in front tied the game at four.

“Our bench was amazing,” said Petan, who scored the next goal and game winner. “We pulled though it even though they tied the game. We just wanted this gold medal so bad.”

Then Quebec took a bad tripping penalty, and everything changed.

Curtis Lazar scored mid-way through the ensuing power-play, with under four minutes left, giving Quebec another two-goal lead.

In a desperate attempt to tie the game, Quebec head coach Donald Audette pulled Belanger with over three minutes remaining in the game.

Quebec turned the puck over three times at the offensive blue-line before they were burned by Lazar.

“When we made it 4 – 4, we thought about a comeback and we were right there but you got to give them credit,” said Audette. “They came back every time we scored a goal so they broke our spirit a little bit and time ran out on us. But I am proud of those kids.”

With files from Dylan Matthias.