Wednesday, August 14, 2024
HomeSportsSoccerSaint Mary’s Huskies 0 – 0 Dalhousie Tigers

Saint Mary’s Huskies 0 – 0 Dalhousie Tigers

The Saint Mary’s Huskies and the Dalhousie Tigers women’s soccer teams shared at least one thing last Saturday: neither could score. What differed was their reaction to it. “From our point of view, it’s a good point to pick up,” said Huskies coach Mark Sweetapple. “It’s a big point in the standings for us.”

“Saint Mary’s were playing for their lives. We were playing like ‘Oh, it’s a nice sunny day in the park, it’s fun. I get a little run in,” said Tigers coach Jack Hutchison.

Saint Mary’s entered the game six points clear of both Moncton and Acadia, with the Huskies holding the fifth of six playoff spots, with three games remaining in their regular season. The Huskies need two wins or a win and two draws (19 points) to secure a playoff spot. 20 points would guarantee Saint Mary’s a postseason berth.

As for Dalhousie, they sit third on 18 points, two back of the guaranteed spot and three behind leaders Cape Breton. The Capers only have two games remaining, however, and the Tigers have four.

The game itself was as boring as a 0-0 draw can be, with chances few and far between. The highlight of the game was a combined shot/cross by Jeanette Huck which hit the football goalposts above Alicia Wilson.

“Not our best effort,” said the Tigers’ Alannah MacLean, “but I think we can build off this and hopefully perform better for (last Sunday against Acadia). (We need to) keep it on the ground more, because (Saint Mary’s) are really good in the air.”

Unofficial Stats:
Goals: SMU-0; Dal-0
Shots: SMU-0; Dal-4
Attempts: SMU-1; Dal-14
Fouls: SMU-4; Dal-10
Cautions: SMU-0; Dal-0
Ejections: SMU-0; Dal-0
Corners: SMU-2; Dal-7
Offsides: SMU-0; Dal-2

Dylan Matthias
Dylan Matthias
Dylan served as Editor-in-chief of the Gazette for Volume 144. He was the Sports Editor for Volume 143.