HomeSportsTigers swimmers are double AUS Champions…again

Tigers swimmers are double AUS Champions…again

The Tigers swim team shredded the competition to victory at the AUS Championships in the Dalplex on Feb. 12-14. The men’s team win was their eighteenth consecutive AUS title, while the women picked up their fifteenth in row.

The Tigers started the competition with a bang on Friday, Feb.12. They won nine of 10 individual events on the day, on top of both 400m freestyle races. Both the men and the women built big leads over the competition. The women ended the day with 148pts over UNB who had 60 in second place. The men finished with 160pts over Memorial’s 46.

Katherine Webster led the Tigers to a podium sweep in the first event of the evening, winning the 200m freestyle event with AUS female rookie of the year Lise Cinq-Mars and Lucy MacLeod following close behind. Webster followed up the win with another gold medal in the 100m breaststroke a short time later.

Fellow Tiger and AUS female swimmer of the year Phoebe Lenderyou set a new AUS record in the 100m butterfly, beating her time at last year’s AUS championship by seven tenths of a second.

Rachel Shin led the Tigers in another podium sweep after taking first in the 400m IM. Teammates Annie Douglas and Claire Yurkovich were not far behind posting CIS qualifying times in second and third. The Tigers (Lenderyou, Macleod, Cinq-Mars & Fraser) won the 400m freestyle relay.

On the men’s side, AUS male swimmer of the year Gavin Dyke won two events. He led the Tigers in a podium sweep of the 200m freestyle, setting a new AUS record with Tyler Herron and Kyle Watson close behind. Dyke grabbed his second win of the night in the 100m butterfly, posting a CIS qualifying time of 55.72. Dal’s Mathieu Bernier placed second behind Dyke.

Dalhousie Tiger and AUS male rookie of the year Morrgan Payne won his first AUS championship event, grabbing gold in the 50m backstroke. Dal’s Tony Liew claimed gold in the 100m breaststroke with fellow Tiger Keenan Teghtsoonian placing second.

In the men’s 400m IM, it was the Tigers Teghtsoonian getting his first taste of gold of the championships leading the Tigers in a podium sweep. Herron and AUS community service award winner Jeremy Ryant finished second and third, respectively.

The Tigers (Dyke, Liew, Watson and Herron) grabbed gold in the men’s 400m freestyle relay.

Saturday, Feb.13 was the second day of competition and the Tigers continued to win races. Both the women and the men were able to build upon their leads. The women closed the day with 291pts over UNB’s 132, while the men had 319pts over Memorials 110.

Lenderyou was the first swimmer to find the top of the podium on day two winning the women’s 100m breaststroke posting a CIS-qualifying time.

Cinq-Mars grabbed her first individual gold medal of the championship, winning the 50m butterfly event.

Webster grabbed her third individual gold medal of the meet, winning the 400m freestyle in a CIS-qualifying time of 4:16.34. Yurkovich was second.

In one of the tightest races of the night, UNB’s Charli LeBlanc won the 50m freestyle in a time of 26.16. Dal’s Lucy MacLeod was second (26.44), followed by Mount Allison’s Allison Loewen (26.69). All three swimmers posted CIS-qualifying times.

The women’s 200m butterfly event was won by Shin with Tiger teammate Cinq-Mars coming in second. Both swimmers posted CIS-qualifying times.

The Tigers (Lenderyou, MacLeod, Cinq-Mars and Webster) won the 4 x 200m relay in a time of 8:21.58.

On the men’s side, Payne won the 100m backstroke event. Following closely behind was fellow Tiger Liew and Memorial’s David Haines. All three posted CIS-qualifying times.

The Tigers swept the podium in the men’s 400m freestyle. Watson was first, followed by Herron and Peter Inches. Dal’s Teghtsoonian found himself at the top of the podium in the 200m breaststroke. Acadia’s Adam Deutsch was second, followed by Ryant.

Dyke won his third race of the meet, grabbing gold in the 50m freestyle.

Tiger James Profit won the 200m butterfly.

In the last event of the night, the Tigers (Dyke, Watson, Inches and Herron) won the 4 x 200m relay, setting a new AUS record with a time of 7:29.02.

The Tigers continued to roll on Sunday, Feb. 14 on the final day of the championship.

The women closed out the weekend with 435pts while the men had 460. Both teams more than doubled their closest competitor.

In the first event of the night, Webster won the 800m freestyle event, with teammate Yurkovich and UNB’s Kayla Martin placing second and third. All three swimmers posted CIS-qualifying times.

Lenderyou won her first event of the evening, setting a new AUS record in the 200m backstroke event. The Tiger broke her own record of 2:11.05 (set at the Kemp-Fry Invitational in November) by nearly three seconds. Acadia’s Rebecca MacPherson was second, followed by Dal’s Shin in third. All three posted CIS-qualifying times in the event.

UNB got their first gold of the night from Charli LeBlanc in the 100m backstroke. She was followed by Cinq-Mars in second and Acadia’s Rebecca MacPherson in third. All three posted CIS-qualifying times in the race.

Lenderyou got her second gold of the night, setting another AUS record in the 200m IM. She broke the record she set at last year’s championship by nearly a second, touching in at 2:14.84. The Tigers swept the podium with Annie Douglas and Sarah Wood finishing in second and third, respectively.

The Tigers won the final relay of the weekend, completing the relay sweep, breaking the record the Tigers set at last year’s championship. The team of Lenderyou, Webster, Cinq-Mars and MacLeod clocked in with a CIS-qualifying time of 4:11.64.

Dal’s Liew got things started for the men, setting a CIS-qualifying time of 28.64 in the 50m breaststroke. Acadia’s Brendan Vibert was second, followed by Teghtsoonianin third.

Payne set the pace in the 200m backstroke, winning in a time of 2:01.96. Inches was second, with Memorial’s David Haines finishing in third. Both Payne and Inches swam CIS-qualifying times.

Dyke won his first gold of the night in the 100m freestyle event, setting a new AUS record in the process. He beat the record he set in November by .19 seconds.

Herron won his first event of the night, winning the 200m IM. Profit was close behind, narrowly out-touching Acadia’s Adam Deutsch.

Watson led a Tigers podium sweep in the 1500m freestyle, clocking in a CIS-qualifying time of 5:42.96. Tigers teammates Ryant and Jackson Sinclair were second and third.

The Tigers completed their relay sweep of the weekend, winning the 4 x 100m relay. Payne, Liew, Herron and Dyke narrowly missed setting a new AUS record, clocking in a CIS-qualifying time of 3:43.47.

Dalhousie swept the meet awards, claiming both rookie and swimmer of the year titles.

Cinq-Mars was named the AUS female rookie of the meet after claiming gold in the 50m butterfly, and silver in the 200m butterfly, 100m and 200m freestyle events this weekend. Payne was named the AUS male rookie of the meet after sweeping all three backstroke events. Both Cinq-Mars and Payne were named the AUS rookies of the year at the championship luncheon on Friday.

Lenderyou was named the AUS female swimmer of the meet after claiming gold in the 100m butterfly, 100m and 200m backstroke, and the 200m IM events this weekend. She also set three AUS records in individual events over the weekend. The AUS male swimmer of the meet went to Dyke after sweeping all three freestyle events and the 100m butterfly. He set two new AUS records over the weekend. Both Lenderyou and Dyke were named the AUS swimmers of the year during Friday’s championship luncheon.

At the end of the third and final day of competition, the team standings are as follows:

Women’s
Dalhousie – 435
University of New Brunswick – 187
Acadia – 173
Mount Allison – 129
University of Prince Edward Island – 47

Men’s
Dalhousie – 460
Memorial – 170
Acadia – 129
Mount Allison – 107
University of New Brunswick – 85
University of Prince Edward Island – 20

All CIS qualifiers will head to the CIS championship at the l’Université de Laval on Feb. 26-28, 2016.

With files from daltigers.ca.