I, Samantha Elmsley, Queen of Romance, pronounce myself an expert on where to woo a lover in Halifax. Behold my suggestions.
- The Company House (2202 Gottingen Street) for an acoustic concert. Picture candlelit tables and cozy seating. Plus, someone is there to entertain you, so you don’t have to make a fool of yourself by trying to maintain a conversation.
- Williams Lake (from rotary, continue south onto Purcells Cove Road, turn right at Williams Lake Road). Possibly save this for a later date, when being sweaty and exhausted from the bike ride out to this gorgeous, secluded swimming spot won’t be a huge turnoff.
- Obladee Wine Bar (1600 Barrington Street), for when you need to fool them into thinking you’re sophisticated.
- The boardwalk on the Halifax harbour for an ice cream. Enough said.
- Your kitchen—cook them dinner. This impresses literally every student you will ever meet. If it doesn’t win your date over, cook for me instead. I guarantee my awe.
Samantha was Opinions Editor of the Gazette for Volumes 145 and 146.