HomeArts & CultureKnow your rival universities

Know your rival universities

NSCAD. Photo by Angela Gzowski
NSCAD. (Angela Gzowski photo)

Welcome, new recruit! Halifax is one hell of a city, but it is a city contested. Dalhousie students are pitted day and night against outside forces who would want the city for their own. It is for your own well-being that we have assembled this list so that you may know your enemy. We’re glad you chose the right side.

Saint Mary’s University: Our most direct threat. SMU students are known to be fierce warriors on the ice and quick to dismiss the fact that they inhabit what appears to be a high school.

Mount Saint Vincent University: Perched high above the Bedford Highway, MSVU students descend into Halifax by night, a tactic we’ve attributed to them having nothing to do around their campus. Luckily, they usually disperse early—to catch the last bus home.

Nova Scotia College of Art and Design: NSCAD Students will attempt to dazzle you with their flashy haircuts and wardrobes. Do not be fooled—they are highly trained in the deadly art of critique.

University of King’s College: Friend or foe? All we know about this elusive bunch is that they’ve infiltrated our programs and have agents working for our publications.

Mat Wilush
Mat Wilush
Mat Wilush once went to see Agent Orange on the outskirts of Toronto, where the beer was salty and drunken teenagers took turns sitting in a prop electric chair. The music had aged poorly. A mohawk’d middle-ager danced through the first couple songs, but quickly tired out. There just isn’t much room for surf rock in the world anymore. What next? Mat Wilush wants to know. Mat is the Gazette's Arts Editor. Follow him on Twitter at @wilushwho and email him at arts@dalgazette.com.